SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treenutt

swamp chestnut oak

treenutt
13 years ago

I purchased 100 swamp chestnutt trees form our state's forest service 2 years ago. Kept them in pots for a year and planted them last year. Before planting on property last year, they ranged in size from 1" -10". Last summer I had to water weekly because of a drought, so they didnt put on much growth. This past late winter I wanted a more mature version so I went to a local nursery to buy one and ended up with 8 trees ranging form 5'-12'. They were going to burn them because the trees were not the shape a homwowner would want in their front yard. So they gave me 8 for $20. All in 15 gallon pots. Looked funny driving down the road with them sticking up in the truck. Any way I planted them the same weekend I purchased them. After leaf bloom, the bugs hammered the new leafs (on all the swampchestnut oaks). I only go to my property on the weekends. Every time I would drive by one I would give it a good shake to see the caterpillars fall out. One tree lost every leaf, but has since put new ones on. Is there a way to prevent this from happing next year? And why only these this type of tree?

Comments (5)