SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spruceman

planting swamp chestnut oak acorns

spruceman
15 years ago

Folks:

I have some swamp chestnut acorns (10) that I want to plant. They have started to germinate--they normally start germination in the fall--but I am wondering if, in my climate here a bit north of their natural range, I should plant them now or keep them in my refrigerator with good moisture, until March.

If I plant them I would cover them with leaves and forest litter, as is natural, and then put some hardware cloth over/around them to protect them from mice and voles, and then put a good layer of mulch over them until mid March.

I have done some research and found that the first stage of germination/growth is the growth of the radicle, or root sprout. In most white oaks this is not very susceptible to freezing. The top shoot, which is more susceptible, usually doesn't grow until spring.

But I am wondering if SCO germinating acorns are more susceptible to freezing than others in the white oak group, specifically Q. alba, about which I have been able to learn more than about other "white" oaks. I was planning on planting them now, but then this morning I was thinking--maybe the reason they don't grow this far north--the limiting factor--is be the susceptibility to freezing of the germinating acorns, specifically the radicle.

Of course I could plant them now with the mulch protection, and then if some unusually hard freeze--below zero--should come, I could retrieve the acorns and bring them inside.

Or should I just wait? Maybe some of you have some ideas/experience?

--Spruce

Comments (6)