SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amidheliot

Young Oak with Acorns!!!

amidheliot
14 years ago

My neighbor built his house about 10 years ago. He has planted several hundred Deciduous and conifer trees. Lining his driveway (about 1000 feet) he has an assortment of Red Oak, Pin Oak, and just a couple of White Oaks that were all planted as sapplings. They have been in the ground for aprox. 7-8 years.

The interesting thing is that a few weeks ago we noticed that one of the Red/Pin Oaks was leaning over pretty badly. We walked over to investigate and noticed that the tree had several clusters of acorns! I have heard that as young as 25 years old Oak's will start producing acorns but most often not until about 50 yrs old. Can anyone verify this info for me. Is this a special/unique tree, just a freak of nature, or am I misinformed?

I spend most of my time planting conifers, and this would be a huge deal finding a specimen that would cone at a young age, but being deciduous, I am a little lost myself. All that I know is that it is unusual, I think. Please advise and I will pass the info along to my neighbor. Thanks.

Eliot

Comments (23)