SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_london

how long do I need to wait before planting?

andrew_london
17 years ago

Can anyone offer advice on how long you need to wait between digging in well-rotted farmyard manure into the soil and planting bare-root roses? Or can you do it immediately (although obviously it is better to let the ground settle first if you have the time)?

The ground was too hard to dig before October; since then, I have been busy preparing holes for the bare-root roses I have ordered, which should arrive early next month. (Late autumn/early winter it the usual time for planting bare-root roses here in England, although it is often possible to plant in January or February during mild spells. Obviously it is best to give the roses a few months to settle in before spring if possible.)

Some of the holes will get to rest for a couple of months before planting, but others won't. The question is, can I prepare and plant on the same day, if need be?

Preparation means what used to be called "b*st*rd-trenching" (GardenWeb wouldn't let me write the full word!) - removing the top soil, breaking up the subsoil, digging in plenty of well-rotted cow/horse manure, then adding back the topsoil with plenty more of the manure.

Might one risk burning bare roots if one does not wait for at least a month after this procedure? Maybe it just depends on how well-rotted the manure is? (I have to buy my manure commercially, as there is a distinct lack of cows and horses here in London.)

The old rose books tell you that you have to wait after manuring, but I suspect that they are generally referring to the addition of fresh manure.

Comments (8)