SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zaphod42_gw

Austins for Wisconsin? Performance and hardiness

zaphod42
13 years ago

This post is a re-do of a different thread. Mad_gallica recommended I re-post with a new name. IÂm including some of the responses to the first post because there were some good points or additional questions. --

I'd like to thank everyone who posted regarding my query about using roses in garden design. I've followed their recommendation and gotten together a list for the areas I have open. This is a group of shorter shrubs maxing out at 4.5' H. I'm particularly interested in getting a repeat bloomer in both areas where this size will go. I'm also interested in the spread of the bush. I love the look of the Austin roses but am not against any alternate suggestions anyone may have after reading the list. The Austins are all listed as 'hardy' which the catalog defines as hardy through zone 5. Because of my closeness to Lake Michigan we're actually zone 5b. Some of the roses below may be more sensitive than others, which I'm curious to hear about. Thanks!

- 'Betty Harkness' - Floribunda (One source said 3'H and another said 5'. Five feet would be too high. Three would be perfect.) Â Not an Austin but in the running

- 'Benjamin Britton' - Austin (At 4.5' H its kinda pushing it for one location but would work in another. Conflicting reports as to hardiness and zone. Couple places stated Zn 5 and couple said Zn 6)

- 'Christopher Marlowe' Â Austin/ Hardy

- 'Lady Emma Hamilton' Â Austin/ Very Hardy (Zn 3 or 4)

- 'Darcy Bussell' Â Austin/ Hardy

- 'Princess Alexandra of Kent' - Austin (New this year) / Hardy

- 'Sir John Betjeman' - Austin (New this year) / Hardy

Mad_galllica responded : "In my particular part of the world, most of Austin's 'most hardy' list didn't make it in their zone 6 display garden."

Lesity (6A NJ) questioned : "Really?? I just bought 4 DA roses including Crocus, Carding Mills, and Strawberry Hills...I live in zone 6 so I assumed they could make it with good winter protection...anybody in zone 6 has DA?"

Comments (13)