SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmmgonzo

In Defense of Austins :)

mmmgonzo
16 years ago

I have been reading a few different threads on the boards about the dislike of Austins in general.

I don't know why, but I feel compelled to post that Austins are *THE* reason why I started to grow roses. The only roses I had been exposed to were Hybrid Teas. I had no idea there were other types of Roses. I saw an Heirloom Roses catalog and the Austins had me hooked. I called them "roses that don't look like roses" to my friends in the beginning. And the fragrance! The flowers my mom and dad had didn't smell. To this day when I bring in a bouquet of roses to work I always have someone ask me "what sort of flowers are these?" and they don't believe me when I tell them they are roses.

This is what I started with and this is what started my love for gardening and roses.

As time progresses, I find my likes change, or maybe it is that I have all of one breed that I need and move onto another?

Austins started me out, then I moved to Meilland (spelling?), then the noisettes and the teas. Then I threw in a few ramblers last year. This year's collection holds a lot of once bloomers. Roses I never thought I would have or want to grow.. but it is time for me to try something new and thanks to the kindness and generosity of a specific rosarian I have quite a few to "get my feet wet" with :)

All of this because of Austins... :)

I would be interested in hearing about others experiences and if any specific rose breeder influenced them or was the cause of starting a love affair with roses?

Marleah

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus