SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawchicago

Weird: Black spots on Knockouts, but none on 10 Austins

strawchicago z5
12 years ago

We had a few humid days, then non-stop rain starting last night (Sat.) and continuing on for the next few days. Once the rain clears up on Tuesday, I'll post some pics.

After 17 hours rain, I checked my 10 baby Austin roses. Zero black spots. They are mulched with horse manure and banana peels. I walked by Knock-outs, and was surprised to see black spots on the top leaves.

There are a few articles on "Suppression of pests and pathogens by soil bacteria and bacteria in horse manure". I started mulching with horse manure when I read the British article advising to mulch with horse manure, rather than tree-bark mulch. Research done at Penn State by Dr. Donald Davis showed the damage done by artillery fungus from tree bark mulch. There are at least 25 fungal species on tree bark, but only 6 in horse manure.

In July I didn't mulch Lilian Austin and Mary Rose as a test. They sported a few blemished leaves. I tasted Lilian's youngest leaf - it was pleasant, like spinach. Then I mulched both with horse manure. 1 1/2 months later, I tasted Lilian Austin again, now it has a acrid, stringent after taste.

Plants deficient in potassium are more prone to diseases, esp. black spot. Horse manure is highest in potassium among all the manures. My Knockout is 5 years old, planted in full sun. My 10 Austins are 2 1/2 months, planted in less than 4 hours of evening sun.

I also dusted my 10 Austins with whole-grain corn meal as a test. I only dust the lowest 1/3 of the plant. We had many days of all-night rain in July. I cut flowers for the vase, trim off the leaves, and throw them at the bush. None of these discarded leaves on the ground show any black spot for the past months. This explains why the public rose park nearby has zero mulch, only bare dirt.

Conclusion: The soil bacteria and horse manure bacteria do suppress black spot fungi. My clay soil tested very high in potassium. The extra potassium from the horse manure and banana peels changed the leaves' chemistry.

Fifteen years ago, my rose garden was in full sun, different soil, mulched with tree bark - and I had the worse black spot on all 15 hybrid teas.

It's the same principle as probiotics in yogurt helps with yeast infection in human. There's another website on the suppression of BOTH pathogens and pests by soil bacteria: http://www.unil.ch/dmf/page16860_en.html

And this website on fungal infections suppression by soil bacteria: http://www.wur.nl/UK/newsagenda/news/Soil_bacteria_plant_bodyguards_against_fungal_infections_.htm

The most interesting research is how pseudomonas fluorescens in manure can suppress plant pathogens. Chicken manure is best, and least is cow manure. Pseudomonas fluorescens is the bacterium that makes the greenish sheen on your deli roast beef.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beneficial bacteria in horse feces

Comments (22)