SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlena87

Show your favorite Austin roses

Sara-Ann Z6B OK
8 years ago

Another class of roses I'm not very experienced with, but I love everyone else's. I have Darcey BUSSELL, but have never been able to get a good picture. My best Austin picture is of Lady of Shallot, love the color. Unfortunately my QOS died.

Comments (59)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Oooooohh, Ninkasi--what a gorgeous LD Braithwaite bloom. I had no idea it was that beautiful!

Kate

• oldrosarian
    8 years ago

I had a fiend who owned a nursery and imported Austins so all of mine were from England in my PNW garden. Most did very well and I wondered if it was perhaps because they were right from Austin?

Christopher Marlowe, his canes tend to sag

James Galway very tall and very stingy with flowers

Crown Princess Margareta LONG bendy type canes

A Shropshire Lad can be hard to find but I like the changing shades

Teasing Georgia very tall so better as a small climber

William Shakespeare 2000 his canes tended to break with the many flowers on top

St. Albans the right colour for a lemon, thin canes and few flowers

• Related Discussions

What is your favorite rose to show at a rose show?

Q

Comments (2)
    I love pink rose. Pink is basically very beutiful color, so pink roses look really ausome. Here is a link that might be useful: http://c.1asphost.com/Sanganagouda/forum/
    ...See More

David Austin Roses at Int Tokyo Rose Show

Q

Comments (8)
    Pretty Petals, To teil you the truth I felt both in hell and heaven :) in heaven because the roses were very beautiful, and in hell because there were so many people that it was difficult to move in any direction and breathe, so most of the time I was photographing the roses in the ceiling because I did not reach the roses in the booths. The David Austin and the Delbard area were the most crowded.
    ...See More

Your Favorite Red David Austin Roses

Q

Comments (33)
    I have only two ('Prospero' and 'The Prince'), but I don't know if I'd recommend them for you. They're not tremendously vigorous (mine are own-root), but I saw that as an asset for where I planted them. I wanted them because I grew them once before, and was willing to put up with their "issues" to enjoy them again. If I had the space for some of the more recent (and more vigorous) DA reds, I'd get some of the others mentioned here. I think the more vigorous ones would be better bets in your climate, since they'd bounce back better after Winter damage. :-) ~Christopher
    ...See More

What are your favorite (not so common) Austin roses?

Q

Comments (195)
    My Chianti was about 6 ft high and about 8 ft wide. And constance about the same. And i had them up on an embankment and they kind of hung down over. Which worked well as the roses tend to "nod" on the ends of the canes. So you could look up into them. They could have done with a bit of support as they tended to have very long canes. I've just bought the wedgewood rose, in my new house, and have that similarly up on an embankment but have given it some support this time. That one repeats but is yet to flower so I don't know if I will like it as much yet. I loved constance to bits. What zone am I? I don't know the equivalents, sorry. It rarely gets colder than about 14 degree F in winter and we hardly ever get snow. And in summer it's around 86 F, but we have a few days that can top 100.
    ...See More
  • Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wow! Everyone has some real beauties! Boscobel, Teasing Georgia, Lady Emma Hamilton, Charlotte, James Galway, A Shropshire Lad, Crown Princess Margareta, so many beauties!

• User
    8 years ago

Pat_Bama, thank you for your pictures even tho they are not behaving well. You have several I've seen and am lusting after.

Oldrosarian, I finally got over wanting James Galway but your A Shropshire Lad has reactivated my longing for this tall one (z9). It and the camera must have a love affair.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    8 years ago

Your pictures are all outstanding, breath-taking really, and I'm afraid mine will not be nearly as good, but they do show some roses that haven't been seen so far and so might be of interest.

Cottage Rose

Wild Edric

Ingenious Mr. Fairchild

Pretty Jessica

Potter and Moore

Bishop's Castle

Sophy's Rose

Janet

Harlow Carr

Charles Darwin

Hmm, I think my favorite rose color must be pink.....

• seil zone 6b MI
    8 years ago

I've had Golden Celebration the longest.

And Graham Thomas for a little less.

I just got Jubilee Celebration this spring and so far it hasn't grown much but it did bloom.

And I also got Queen of Sweden but she never gave me a bloom this year. I had this one bud but it never open and eventually fell off.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Ingrid - I love your Pretty Jessica!!! Now I see what mine could be like. Sooooo beautiful!! I really like your Ingenious Mr. Fairchild!!! What a stunner!! Which of the roses you've shown is your favorite??

Seil - your Graham Thomas is amazing!! I can see why that rose has been so popular for so long!

Carol

8 years ago

rosecanadian, I'd say I have two favorites, Potter and Moore and Bishop's Castle. The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild's blooms don't last long in my climate and the bush has skinny long branches that shoot up, and small leaves that don't hide its unattractive and spiny body. Some of the roses are no longer in my garden because they didn't do well, especially in the long drought we're experiencing. The Austins do like quite a bit of water and are not terribly fond of blistering heat. I've transplanted Bishop's Castle to a cooler spot because I hated to lose it. It has a wonderful perfume in addition to the beautiful flowers.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

I'd get Bishop's Castle in a heart beat...if I could find it!

Carol

• Sara-Ann Z6B OK
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Ingrid and Seil, you both have some beauties! Bishop's Castle is certainly beautiful! Seil, your Graham Thomas is breathtaking!

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

Everyones Austin's are gorgeous!

Ingrid I love the full bush shot of your Cottage rose, it is really beautiful. I planted 3 last spring and I hope mine looks as prett as yours one day.

8 years ago

rosecanadian, I'm surprised you can't find Bishop's Castle. It is not a new one but has continued to be quite popular. Thank you Sara-Ann. boncrow, I hope you'll post pictures of your Cottage Rose. It's not one that's seen very often today. If you planted three together that should be spectacular, but even the one wasn't bad for me. It's another one that unfortunately I no longer have.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Yeah, I only buy roses from Palantine, Pickering, Hortico and one near here - Greenland Garden Centre. I've never seen it at any of those places. Bummer.

Carol

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    8 years ago

Everyone's pictures are gorgeous! Makes me wish I had more garden space.

Brother Cadfael--easy to grow on own root. Scent to die for. Prefers a bit of afternoon shade in my heat. Grows very tall. Great spring and fall flushes after the weather cools down.

Sharifa Asma. One gorgeous rose. Slow repeater. Prefers afternoon shade in my climate. Great scent. I will find a better picture of her flowers. That is the Brother in the back ground.

Munstead Wood. Isn't it good, Munstead Wood. Love his many color variations. Anything from dark glowing pink to burgundy. Great rose. Takes the heat. No disease.

Princess Alexandra of Kent. Another one of Austin's finest that I think wants to be a climber in my heat. Great scent. Takes the heat. No disease. Gets big. One of my favorites.

Peach Blossom. First and last to bloom in my yard. No disease. Makes great hips. Can be grown as a pillar rose. I grew it as a climber. Can take the heat in my garden.

Pretty Jessica. Grows upright. Can take the heat of summer without flinching. No disease. Pretty much always in bloom. Stays somewhat small for an Austin.

Ambridge Rose. Can take the heat, however it will bloom when it cools down again. Reverted back to rootstock after several years (you can see Dr. Huey there in the picture). Smells like sugar free cherry bubblegum. Not my most favorite scents for a rose. Stays about three feet tall or so and about the same in width.

Mary Webb. Stays somewhat small for an Austin. No disease for me. Only blooms when the weather is cooler (say 80 degrees or so). Light yellow in the center which turns to white after two seconds in the sun.

Evelyn. Loved this rose. Reverted back to rootstock so out she went. Grows tall where the weather is warm. Scent to die for. No disease for me. Only blooms at the end of her canes. Only blooms when the weather is below 85 degrees or so. Great fall and spring flushes. Miss her.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Love your Austins!!! Evelyn looks soooooo beautiful!!! I mean really!! Love them all though. :)

Carol

8 years ago

Lady of Shalott. New for me this year. On own root. Very few blooms but she is only a year old, so she is forgiven. BRIGHT orange blooms. Lordy! I hope they tone down a bit in the future. No disease.

The Alnwick Rose. Small blooms. No disease. Stops blooming in the heat but he is new, so it is a wait and see game for him. Not impressed as I wanted to be. He may end up getting the boot. Has another year to start to prove himself.

Emilia

Rare Austin. Very early Austin. Hates the heat. Rarely blooms. Likes afternoon shade. Grows to be about a foot tall and wide. Same name as my lovely Great Grandmother, so she is a keeper for me.

Lady Emma Hamilton. Dead as a door nail. Fried in the heat.

No pictures yet of Mary Magdalene nor Sister Elizabeth.

I have a picture buried somewhere of Jude the Obscure. Can't take the heat. Rarely flowered. Grows to be over five feet tall and flowers only at the end of his stems. No scent for me. One lousy rose.

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

I am in a hot and dry zone so I can only grow those DA roses that don't fry easily. Here are my collection:

Brother Cadfael

Evelyn

Happy Child

Jude the Obscure

Munstead Wood

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Oh forgot this one:

PAOK

I also have Young Lycidas but I can't find a picture of it.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oh my goodness!!!! There's nothing like Austins when they're wonderful. It's like the nursery rhyme, "When they were good, they were very, very good. But when they were bad they were horrid!"

Those are very, very good!

Carol

8 years ago

After looking at all the ravishing pictures again, my personal favorite is Scepter'd Isle. It seems to me to be the epitome of what an English rose should be, with something of the ethereal quality that I would want of an English rose, with gorgeous flowers on what seems like a mannerly bush.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    8 years ago

I dont have any good pictures of my Austin's, even though I like them. Hmm

Abraham Darby- I've been 'thisclose' to shovel pruning him for years, but then I don't because of this. He completely defoliates during the summer. From disease? From heat or lack of water? I don't pay attention and maybe that's the problem, lol.

The Prince- I've had this (and the above) for five years now, and it just now has scent. Weird? Doesn't have many leaves now, but I forgive it.

I also have Munstead Wood, Jubilee Celebration and WS2000, but not a decent picture among them. My plants aren't as pretty as the ones above, that's for sure.

And I've killed THREE Lady Emma Hamiltons. She can't take our heat at all.

Graham Thomas was a ten foot tall monster with no flowers. Didn't have the patience, so he's gone. I may try him again one day to see what he can do.

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

I am in awe of all these gorgeous pics! I want at least two more Austins but can't decide which ones. I did notice that on Chamblees website that their list of Austins is getting shorter and shorter. I wonder what's up with that? I think Scepter d isle and sharifa asma are especially pretty.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Jo - PAOK is 10 feet across?!!!! Holey Moley!!! I really want that rose!! Wollerton Old Hall is to die for!!! My goodness!!! I love the color/look of Royal Jubilee!! I almost got that one this year, but changed my mind. Belle Story is simply beautiful!! What a stunner! Oooh!! I want my Strawberry Hill to look like that. It was a first year bare root this year. Yours is amazing!!

Brittie - I got rid of my AD years ago with no regrets. :) Yours shows that it can be amazing!! Lovely!!! As to the Prince, I've had many, many roses that have no scent until year 3, 4 or 5. I have no idea why. I thought it was because I grow them in pots. But who knows. Yours is lovely!!!

Carol

• boncrow66
    8 years ago

All I can say is WOW. I want a PAOK!

• Kachana
    8 years ago

OMG, Jo! I'm so glad I have a PAOK coming this winter. If it does just half as well as yours, I'd be so happy! But I don't want it to be 10' wide though. I need room for more roses:). Your Strawberry Hill is just as impressive. Hope mine will do as well once established.

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Jo- PAOK is 10' wide???? OMG!!! I ordered 3 for shipment this winter. I was expecting it to mature somewhere in the vicinity of 5' x 5'. Please tell me it is not very tall as well?

Your roses are beautiful! I really like your Princess Anne.

Lynn

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Kachana, I'm in zone 7 like you, but with a lot shorter growing season. So watch out for the Princess. When my PAOK reached 8 feet wide by 6 feet tall a few weeks ago, I whacked her back. She was being very rude to her neighbors in one of my small flower beds. This is a rose that wants to grow w-i-d-e! But what a beautiful specimen you have, Jo. If you have the room, I say go for the 10 feet. Diane

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    8 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your nice comments.

Carol - most people dislike the scent of Wollerton Old Hall. It's myrrh plus something else. If I recall correctly, you don't like myrrh, do you? Strawberry Hill will be great on your columnar thingy. I'll dig up some pics of it so you can see how it wants to grow.

Kachana, Lynn - PAoK is 10 feet wide and 5 feet tall. The canes are an inch thick, and need to be to support those massive blooms but that makes it difficult to keep the rose pruned narrow as it responds by throwing out another thick cane horizontally that just wants to grow and grow.

I don't know what I was thinking - I have two and I put them both in the front of the bed. In the front, sheesh.

The two PAoKs are not the healthiest for me. Powdery mildew and blackspot cover it throughout the year. And, the blooms have a tendency to get botrytis and they can be downright ugly. I think it would be happier in a warmer climate.

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    8 years ago

Diane - just saw your post. First, I want to say how much I enjoy seeing pictures of your roses and garden. Your Julia Childs make me envious - it is not a rose that is happy in my cool- summers garden...

How far back did you hack PAOK? I think I am going to start severe summer pruning on some of the Austins. PAOK and ole Wollerton, for sure.

Jo

8 years ago

My P of K is huge. She is over 8 feet tall and would continue to grow if I let her. I try to hack her back to about 5 feet each time I deadhead. In December-January, I pruned her back to a foot. This one loves heat and wants to grow tall. I love her. So healthy. Great scent and blooms. I think she might want to be a climber. Mine is on its own root. She is only two years old. I have three of them together in the front walkway. I have to put stakes beside her and tie her back in order to keep her from eating those who walk up to my front door.

8 years ago

jo, your roses and garden are beautiful. You have quite a few uncommon Austins and the blooms are gorgeous.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    8 years ago

Jo, thanks so much for your comments on my Julias. I can say the same about your PAOK, a wonderful show of blooms on your plant. I think mustbenuts prunes her PAOK much more severely than I just did. I will do the big pruning of my rose in March. I probably only took off two feet of the biggest canes, so hack wasn't the best word to use. In your 12 month growing season, you will probably hack your rose much more severely. My big problem is having such small flower beds--I can't spread anything out.

I've been wanting to comment on this wonderful thread for several days, and it just keeps growing, filled with the most beautiful roses out there, I think. So, Sara, thanks for starting it all, and your Lady of Shalott is lovely with its soft colors.

Marlorena, all your roses are worthy of praise, but I especially like the bouquets you so beautifully put together. I never take such care with mine, and of course, it shows.

Carol, what a superb job you do growing MW and Jubilee Celebration, plus all the rest in pots. As I said before, you would never know they were in pots when you get the roses arranged in your flower beds.

I love all the cottagy settings you have so carefully laid out for your roses, Kate, and I especially love Queen of Sweden with those translucent outer petals, as delicate as lace.

Pat, your Austins look incredible, in spite of their problems. The photo of Tamora is perfection with its soft shadings of peach.

Ninkasi, Winchester Cathedral has such exquisite color.

Oldrosarian, your photo of Shropshire Lad is perfection. I want to grow this rose and have it look like your photo.

Ingrid, I love the way you composed your photo of Cottage Rose, glowing against the misty background. It should be framed and hung as art.

Graham Thomas has such a soft, lovely color in your photo, seil. I'm sorry about Lady Emma. You must have had an unusually hot summer.

Fragrancenutter, you know I love all those floriferous roses you grow, but Evelyn is to die for.

Brittie, those Abes look scrumptious packed together in a group hug-ha. I guess between you and seil, I now know not to try to grow Lady Emma in our summer heat.

And finally, phew, Jo, it's hard to pick out a fav among your your beautiful roses, but I have wanted to grow Belle Story for many years, and your rose is breathtaking. Love it.

You can all be so proud of your beautiful Austin roses. Diane

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Jo - I don't know how you can remember that stuff about me. That's amazing! I have a terrible memory. You're right - I don't like myrrh. BUT...I like Strawberry Hill's fragrance very much - and that's supposed to be myrrh. Distant Drum's myrrh is disgusting to me.

Diane - thanks for the kind words about my roses! You have a great memory too. :)

Carol

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

OMG you guys! I'm lovin' all these gorgeous photos! I'm in the process of moving a huge chunk of my DAs and Renaissance-type roses from a fence area where they didn't get enough sun for yrs. Since we had the septic re-do and trees cut down, I have a large area now to plant lots of roses in full sun. Starting with three beds of DA and DA-type roses. Unfortunately I lost a handful of them in the move, as it was too hot to be digging them up. Of course those were mostly the irreplaceable Renaissance roses I got from Hortico yrs ago. Oh well... room for more. haha

Here are some of my DAs:

ABRAHAM DARBY

AMBRIDGE ROSE

BENJAMIN BRITTEN

BIBI MAIZOON

CARDING MILL

CHARLES AUSTIN

CHARLOTTE

CHRISTOPHER MARLOWE

COTTAGE ROSE

EMANUEL

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

and...

ENGLISH ELEGANCE

ENGLISH GARDEN

FALSTAFF

FISHERMAN'S FRIEND

GERTRUDE JEKYLL

GOLDEN CELEBRATION

GRACE

GRAHAM THOMAS

HERITAGE

JAMES GALWAY

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

and...

JANET

JAYNE AUSTIN

JUBILEE CELEBRATION

JUDE THE OBSCURE

KATHRYN MORLEY

LD BRAITHWAITE

LEANDER

MARY MAGDALENE

MARY ROSE

MOLINEUX

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

geez I didn't realize I have so many! LOL

PAT AUSTIN

PROSPERO

QUEEN NEFERTITI

QUEEN OF SWEDEN

REDOUTE

ROSEMOOR - unfortunately long gone...

SHARIFA ASMA

ST CECELIA

SUMMER SONG

TEASING GEORGIA

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    8 years ago

Beth, I love seeing some of the older Austins, and you have so many. Can't wait to see your new DA beds. Make sure you take pics for us to admire!

Kate

• mbz10b
    8 years ago

That's a beautiful collection of DA's. Which ones did the best for you in the not so sunny spot?

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Oh I will Kate.... and here's the rest...

TAMORA

THE DARK LADY & CHARLES DARWIN

THE ENDEAVOUR

THE PILGRIM

THE SHEPHERDESS

TRADESCANT

WILLIAM MORRIS

WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE 2000

WINCHESTER CATHEDRAL

WISE PORTIA

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Mbz the ones that did the best in the shady area were probably QUEEN OF SWEDEN, RADIO TIMES, COTTAGE ROSE and ANNE BOLEYN.

And apparently I somehow missed a couple of those!

ANNE BOLEYN

RADIO TIMES

RADIO TIMES is extremely happy to be in its new spot. Blooming pretty nicely right now! (this is an older photo tho)

Ooops forgot another one... (not in the shady spot)

THE PRINCE

• mbz10b
    8 years ago

Thanks Beth. I read that Abe Darby was shade tolerant and haven't planted him yet so scoping out where to put him. Good to know which ones are for when I get more also.

I have to try to change my user name. I thought you had to put zone in name so it's Mb zone 10b

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Wow!! Beth - I can't believe you have SO MANY Austins!!! Wow!!

The Prince looks heavenly - I adore that color!!

Radio Times is one I've always wanted to get! Yours looks fabulous. Makes me want it even more!

What do you think of Wise Portia - I love the look of it!

I think your WS2000 is the best of the bunch!! Oh my!!!

I think that Tradescant and Teasing Georgia (oh my again!!) would look gorgeous together!!

Oh, there's just too many to contemplate!! I love the burnt orange color of Summer Song!!

Amazing!!!

Carol

• bethnorcal9
    8 years ago

Carol, that's not even all of them! WISE PORTIA is a gorgeous rose, but unfortunately she's a stingy one. However, that being said, it could be the area where I have her planted. Or my lack of feeding maybe. There are roses around her that do just fine tho. Not sure what it is. I'm finding I really need to go back to alot of my beds and remove undesirable undergrowth and put down lots of mulch and fertilizer. Getting the time to do so isn't always easy tho. I do tho, think there are certain DA roses that need feeding more than others to be their best.

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Stingy is not so good. But....gorgeous!!!

Carol

• ozmelodye
    8 years ago

Beth, Wise Portia IS stingy. Even with extra TLC, mine bloomed sparingly, so I finally gave it the heave-ho. Miss the colour though!

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Oh, well, I guess I'm glad I don't have it then. :)

Carol

• Al Mitchell zone 5b (ameri2nal)
    8 years ago

Sharifa Asma

Compact growth, great repeat, incredible fragrance. 5x5 feet in my Chicagoland garden

Pat Austin

Blooms face downward so she isn't my favorite, interesting moderate fragrance. 4 1/2 x4 feet in my garden

Fair Bianca-

Short compact growth, smells like Black Licorice. 3' x2 in my garden

Jude the Obscure-

Very strong Grapefruit scent, mannerly habit. 5' x 4 in my garden

• rosecanadian
    8 years ago

Your Fair Bianca looks wonderful!! I'm not usually fond of white one, but that could come and stay in my yard anytime!! Although...black licorice. Blech. :)