SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

What are your favorite (not so common) Austin roses?

Responding to the thread on "James L. Austin versus Princess Anne" caused me to ponder (again) what the best Austin roses might be, although I have (and had) so few that I can't give a terribly worthwhile opinion. I don't know if I'm just being contrary, but I seem to gravitate toward the older Austins or even outliers like Wild Edric, an Austin in name only, which isn't available in the US any more. If I had to have one more it would be Evelyn, which I've never grown but have lusted after forever. I quite liked Janet, another obscure and somewhat different Austin and Sophy's Rose. Do not ask me why I removed both of them, other than that they were in the wrong places, but then my rose gardening history is rife with regrets of that type. Young Lycidas lasted long enough to produce one beautiful bloom and then languished until I took it out. If there were such a thing as the rose police they would have arrested me long ago.

What about you all? Are there any not-so-popular Austin roses that you are wild about?

Janet

Cottage Rose, another early Austin

A bush shot of Janet

Comments (195)