SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misslucinda

Heavy Soil II - The sequel

misslucinda
16 years ago

Okay kids-

I've done my thread research but find myself wanting to quote Denzel Washingtion in "Philadelphia": "Please explain it to me like I am a two-year old".

It's the back of my house, an extension built 20 years ago and which I suspect was the abused child of construction in wet-weather. I have patches out there which are so clay-infused and compacted that when I took a hammer and ice pick I could not make a 1" dent in it even after substantial and prolonged rainstorms. Needless to say nothing grows in those spots not even the Japanese silt (stilt) grass which has taken over CT and NY.

I don't know if it was gardengal or someone else from another forum who suggested in someone elses thread keeping the areas saturated with a little dish-detergenty water-A surfectant(sp?). But, I don't have a hose out there. Access to sink water yes, hose no.

Consequently, my question is this; Is there a consensus out there that keeping the patches heaped with leaf compost (for the next 8 months say) would do the trick?

Thank you,

ML

Comments (9)