SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirt_tracker

Plan of attack to fill the frames...

Well, after several different postings regarding my (yet-to-be) raised bed veggie garden I'm finally to the point where I'm about ready to fill the frames. I'm hoping to grow some cool weather veggies this fall/winter, but my primary goal at the moment is to get the growing medium started on it's journey to becoming a *good* growing medium.

{{gwi:307914}}

The area was previously an old garden area that "went to seed". Sandspur, bindweed, etc., freely grew if this area wasn't mowed regularly so I opted to "solarize" it this summer as I was getting things and time together for the beds. As it turned out, on the temporary fence line the sandspur grew abundantly, though the bindweed was infrequent after the initial weeding of the perimeter. The area was at one time a pasture with the primary grass being bahia.

The two beds are 8'x4'x8". I would say that the native soil is a sandy loam and roughly 8-10 inches deep to clay.

Being as I initially began this project after reading MB's "Square Foot Gardening" I have the basic ingredients that he called for: three different kinds of bagged compost, vermiculite, and peat moss. After the fact, I understand some issues and concerns regarding peat moss so please, no flames/info-commercials regarding it, but constructive dialogue regarding it's use will be welcomed.

Along with this I have a few cubic feet of "not quiet ripe" homemade compost along with two bags (around 60 pounds) of shredded oak leaves. I also have some *very old* horse manure that I bagged in 7-8 old feed sacks about 7-8 years ago and has been sitting in a shed ever since.

What I'm thinking of doing is wetting the native soil then take some of the shreaded oak leaves, mix them with some of the horse manure and just a touch of my un-ripe compost then spread this on the native soil at the bottoms of the beds. Then wet that layer with fish emulsion to give the growing-mix/native-soil junction a "kickstart" regarding the microherd.

Once I get this bottom layer in place I figure on simply mixing the other ingredients...bagged compost, vermiculite, and peat moss with what's left of the shredded leaves, horse manure, and what usuable homemade compost I can come up with...wetting the whole mix as I go. Finally, upon getting all of this into the bed I intend to wet the entire bed with some more fish emulsion.

I have some Epsoma organic fertilizer that calls for 40# per 1000 sq ft, I figure this is 1.28# for each of my 32 sq ft beds. Should I go ahead and mix in this with the growing mix while I'm at it?

Any suggestions, thoughts, money, etc., are welcomed.

Ed

Comments (26)