SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
limestoner_gw

River Birch Saga - Is it time to give up on it?

limestoner
13 years ago

Planted two Heritage River Birches three springs ago. At the time they were relatively large in size, about 15' or so. The first year they were in they both became infested with aphids which led to crinkly yellow leaves and loss of leaves. Had them treated by an arborist and they also did a root stimulator treatment. They dropped almost all of their leaves and pushed some more out but one much more than the other. The following spring, when the trees started budding, the one looked to recover completely and the other looked sick. It had leaves, but just on the tips of branches and mostly toward the top of the tree. All of the trunks had some dead branches. One of the trunks had a ton of dead branches and only exhibited leaves in the top 1/3 to 1/4 of the tree. The other trunks were slightly better. This spring, the healthy tree has taken off, sprouting a ton of new branches and looks like a full tree. The other one had leaves, with some new branch shoots, but looks drastically different. Now it is starting to exhibit some yellow leaves and the branches seem to be really droopy and soft. I was getting ready to call the arborist again but at about $200 bucks a pop was thinking about cutting my losses, cutting the tree down and planting a new one for $150. My dilemma is I hate to give up on things but my gut tells me this tree is dying a slow death. Any advice?

Further, has anyone else had similar experience with these trees? From all I read, and all the trees I see in my area, they seem to be very hardy. So if I do choose to replace it should I get a different tree checking it up just to this specimen or plant another river birch.

For clarification, the trees are planted about 25' apart from each other and the arborist confirmed both were planted at the correct depth.

Help.

Comments (4)