SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweetannie4u

Anyone on here ever grow River Birch trees from seed?

Annie
15 years ago

Last summer, I obtained a handful of River Birch seeds from trees they were selling at Lowe's. I read up on all the advice I could stomach on the internets (hehehe), and on January 29th, sowed them in a pot with sterile seed starter mixture. I kept them well watered in the kitchen under lights. They sat there and they sat there and I gave up on them sprouting any time soon, so set the pot over to the side on the counter. This evening I pulled the pot out of the corner where it got morning sunlight only, and Voila! There are three tiny little seedlings growing in there!

I wonder if they are Birches? Surely they must be, although they are so small! I would have expected something bigger looking at the size of the seeds. The timing is right - about 40-50 days. Curious.

I can't find any images of newly sprouted birch seeds anywhere. My books don't have them either. All show seedlings 4-12 inches or bigger. No help in this case.

Anyone who has any experience growing them, please let me know, even via email if you would prefer.

Heap Thanks.

~Annie

Comments (8)

Sponsored