SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
u235

Vine on tree, is this poison ivy/oak

U235
11 years ago

Well, thanks to all for the help with my previous ganoderma issue.

However, now I have a new question. In my backyard, on an unrelated oak tree which resides next to a very large and lush peach tree, I ran into a grey squirrel family that ate every one of my peaches (hunderds of them). I found that they were gaining access to the tree via this oak tree behind my fence which is in a city owned green belt.

So what did I do, I sawed off an entire branch that came over my fence. Thought nothing of it, and I did it manly style with no shirt, basketball shorts and sandals.

For reference, this tree cutting parade occurred on May 29th.

The following day, I went on a business trip, returning the day after. By Friday, June 1st, I noticed itchiness on my left hand. It got progressively worse and by Tuesday of this week (June 5th), I thought I was having shingles or something. Having had poison oak before, I started thinking I came in contact with something, but I looked at the tree and didn't immediately see anything. Well through yesterday, it seems I"m having more reactions, which is unusual for poison oak/ivy, usually after 3-4 days new stuff doesn't come. So I was confused.

This morning I took a closer look at the tree, and I think I found poison ivy vines wrapped around the trunk and possibly branches I cut down.

Here's the picture:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/112537/ivy.jpg

Hopefully I've just been recontaminating myself, since I hadn't initially thought it was from plant contact. Now I've basically sanitized everything, washed everything, etc.

I'm hoping someone can clarify that picture is of poison ivy. Also, how do you recommend I decontaminate my saw?

Finally, I'm slightly fearful that since I was cutting into vines and being careless, I may be having a systemic reaction, since more legions are forming.

However, my overall legion count is respectable, only two have turned into very minor blisters, so I think my overall case is considered mild. Having had poison oak from California as a child, this case is much less severe, although the finding new legions this late in the game is concerning me, hopefully it's just from recontaminating myself.

Thanks all

Comments (11)