SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbergman_gw

Crape or Crepe Myrtle in Zone 5 Indiana

cbergman
13 years ago

I just came home to Indiana after a trip down to Little Rock AR. I fell in love with the what they called crape myrtle trees. The spelling seems to be different everywhere I look. While down there I checked and found them for sale at good prices but I didn't have the room to get one home.

I have found enough info to be confused about these wonderful trees. Can someone please give me the truth about them. Can they grow here in Indiana into a tree or am I limited to a shrub that will die back to the ground in the winter? The trunks were so smooth and wonderful and one many reasons for my interest.

I also have several big trees and I'm running low on "sunny areas" but I just got to have one of these, even if it means pulling something else out.

There seems to be many varieties and I loved the dark pink ones but I could go red also.. Which ones would be best for a tree not shrub at could take zone 5. Also I can't seem to find them here but I wanted to get a good established one. Where do I go for a good price and size online.

Comments (21)