SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentuckybristle

Red maple girdling-lost cause?

KentuckyBristle
10 years ago

Hi,

I hope someone can give me advice on this 30-yr-old red maple in my front yard. I noticed many trees nearby on my street are dying back (the others look much worse than ours, with more dead limbs than living); however, none of them appear to have a root girdling problem like mine does.

After noticing all the problems, I finally decided to do more research on the problem; then I found out about root girdling; then I cleaned around the base of our tree and saw the extent of the problem (or at least the above-ground extent).

Is this girdling so bad that the tree cannot be saved? Is it possible that some of the roots have grafted together and the problem is not as bad as it appears?

I did cut out one stem-girdling root, which was where I drew in the dotted red line; it had compressed a small area of the trunk. I donâÂÂt know if I should try to remove the rest of the root that it was growing from, if it could be grafted to what itâÂÂs growing overâ¦

In the fourth picture, that side of the tree has no trunk flare at all, although that is the side of the tree where the foliage looks healthiest.

Should I just start saving money for tree removal in a few years?

Thanks,

Mark
--I'll post the other three photos below, since I can't figure out how to attach them all to one post.

Comments (11)