SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
softballmom_gw

Oooh Boy I did a dummy, Learn from me (long and sick)

softballmom
14 years ago

So listening to Paul James the Gardening Guy I decided to add Blood Meal to my compost container to speed up the composting time. I love this container just a trash can that my hubby drilled holes in to let more air circulate and I can wheel it to which ever bed that I'm working in and tip it over and add compost to that bed.

Anyway I add the bloodmeal to my wonderful container of leaves and veggies and then we got a serious heat wave so I didn't turn it for a week maybe it was 10 days it shouldn't have been a problem I thought.

I was soooooo wrong. When I went out to add more items to my wonderful container I noticed that the whole bottom was moving. Not a little, it was moving like the wave. There must have been 100's of maggots in there. Not the average size maggots, no these guys were going for the world record they were so large.

Boy did I get sick looking at them and to make matters worse I had two major problems;

1. I'm a big sissy there was no way on this earth that I was going to touch.

2. My husband was out of town so I had to wait another 3 days before he got back so he could fix what I had messed up.

When he got into town the little buggers had crawled up the container sides and were escaping out the holes that we had cut into my container. A good number of them were getting together like it was an after christmas sell and they had a credit card with credit still on it.

Thank the lord that we have a 1/2 acre of woods that I'm to scared to go into since my husband refused to put the container in his F150 to take it to the dump. He chose instead to wheel it into the back half of our wooded lot and dumped it there.

What did I learn?

1. I need to put screens over the wholes in my container to keep flies from laying eggs.

2. Never never never add bloodmeal to one of my containers since I beleive that God will make it decompose in its on good time.

I'm off the composting for this year, maybe next year. I did say how big a sissy I am didn't I? I think that I will be purchasing composted leaf mulch from the nursery down the street.

Comments (9)