SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
memo3

Did I mess up? (Long personal post )

memo3
16 years ago

I sent my youngest daughter (15) off on her first real date today (the young man is 17). I'm a bit misty eyed, I have to say. It's so hard to let go, especially when it's the youngest child.

Here is the deal, we've had an issue going on in our home for the last two months over this event. A couple months ago we allowed her to stay in town to watch the basketball games between the school she attends and the school that she used to attend. We, the Rancher and I, decided that it would indeed be fun to go watch the event and so unannounced we went to the games. When we arrived, my daughter was not present. We saw her friend get a cell phone from her mother and watched her make a phone call. About an hour later my daughter and the young man she is interested in showed up at the games. My daughter stood at the doorway of the gym mouthing "Where's my mom" to her friend. Her friend pointed us out. Instead of coming to where we were sitting and explaining where she had been, she and her young man proceeded to the opposite side of the gym where they sat with their friends throughout the remainder of the game. We laughed about it at the time because we had obviously caught her in the act and we both agreed that a lesson needed to be learned. We, of course, restricted her activities to those school events that she was directly required to attend. She was not allowed to go "out". The Rancher and I talked about inviting the young man over to the house for a while so we could get to know him better before we would allow my daughter to go out with him. I thought this was a good plan. When the young man called one weekend to ask my daughter to a movie, I intervened and then asked him to come for supper a week or so later. He came to dinner and was very polite and pleasant. The Rancher did not make it home for that dinner as he was helping a friend do some butchering. Later the Rancher was angry that I had invited the young man without consulting him. I was floored. Since then he has not allowed the young man to come over or allowed my daughter to go anywhere except for the required school events. It's like he has dug in his heels. I've tried to talk to him several times about the situation and my daughter has written him a letter and tried to talk to him on three occassions. He gets angry every time.

This week, Valentine's Day, the young man gave my daughter roses and asked her to go out for supper tonight. My daughter has been talking to me all week about it. I tried again to talk to the Rancher. Again he got mad. Finally I told him I was going to allow her to go out. I explained that I thought she had learned a valuable lesson. I believe that you have to give kids some lee way to make their mistakes so that you will have the opportunity to further educate them on what is proper and what is not. The Rancher has decided the young man is just not good enough.

I guess I'm having such a hard time with this because when I was raising my older kids my ex husband could have cared less how I handled the kids and left these decisions to me. Now, I'm not married to the Rancher but we have lived with him for four years and he has helped me raise this last daughter of mine. I am obviously in disagreement with the way he wants to handle this and I don't think my daughter should have to continue paying for her error in judgment any longer. What I'm really bothered about is that I don't really know how to handle the situation between the Rancher and I just because I have never had to really share the responsibility with someone before. This is the first major disagreement that we have had. I'm really feeling like I had to choose between the two of them and I'm really uncomfortable in this.

Did I make a mistake in letting my daughter go today?

I appreciate your honest replies. I have a great amount of respect for all of you and your opinions. Please set me straight if need be. I'm a more than a little embarrassed that I'm asking this on a public forum but you all already know that I have no friends out here in the country to talk to.

Thanks,

MeMo

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!