SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tnmom2four

Help! Did I mess up my soil???! Horse manure!

tnmom2four
11 years ago

I am a newbie gardener and I am very worried I might have messed up the soil in my garden. This spring will be my first ever veggie garden and I had the soil tested. It looked fine except the ag extension office recommended adding nitrogen.

Someone said that horse manure was a good source and long story short, I found someone on Craigslist who had tons of it mixed with wood shavings- for free.

We brought home a trailer load full and I spread it out over the garden. It seems to be a good mix of shavings and horse droppings. There are quite a few round horse pellets. We thought we would wait until a dry day to till it in.

But I am reading on here that it might cause too many weeds and especially that the shavings might cause damage to my plants!!! I am very concerned. Should I just rake it all up (that would be over 2,000 sq ft worth- sad face) or till it in and hope for the best?

Have any of you good folks ever tilled in horse poo/shaving mix and had GOOD results? Will tilling it in *now* help it decompose and soil correct before spring comes? When I look out at the bed, there is maybe a thin layer of white shavings you can see, so it's not inches thick or anything.

Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (2)