SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

Please-opinion needed asap re plane trees vs. crimson king maple

gottagarden
17 years ago

First I want to apologize for the "asap", it sounds so demanding, but I have bare root trees that aren't going to wait very long.

Second, I know from reading this forum that most of you hate crimson king maples. But they are already planted.

I have a very long driveway and live in the country. When I moved in 5 years ago, I didn't know much about trees, but decided I would like an allee of trees along the driveway. I went to several nurseries to see what they recommended. A local nursery convinced me to get crimson king maple. (I did not know gardenweb existed back then or I'm sure you all would have given me better advice.) I planted 15 on each side, 25 feet apart. I don't hate them, I think they are handsome trees.

However, the first year we spent about $2500 on these trees. (30 x $75 + tax) The first year 11 died! (more $$) I replaced them. THe second year 8 died. I replaced them. The third year only 4 died. I replaced them. Last year only 1 died. Seems like I've replaced them all and it's been very expensive both in time and labor. ( I have to water all summer long and that's a job.)

Now I know how to plant trees. I planted 100 mixed evergreens. All lived. I planted 15 white birch and 15 river birch. All lived. I planted 15 hawthorne, all lived. I planted probably 20 or more specimen trees, they all lived. I've also planted thousands of seedlings with very high success rate. I have gardened for years and read everything I can and am a garden web addict. I do know how to plant trees, so I don't know what is going on. Of course the trees that died were the ones that I spent the most time and money on, and the ones that are most visible to the whole world.

This winter I decided to replace them with London plane tree. (we went to Pittsburgh and I just fell in love with their bark. The city is loaded with them and they were all so beautiful.) I like the idea of that fascinating bark providing winter interest, and winters are very long here.

I ordered the plane trees, they have arrived bare root, and I intended to plant them between all the maples, wait a year to see how they do, and then remove the maples, hopefully replanting them somewhere. Since plane tree grow so fast,( and I'm tired of shelling out the big bucks) I got bareroot very inexpensively.

The maples, sensing their imminent removal from favored location, did well this year and only one died. Most are very well established and starting to get some size on them.

After that long winded history, my question is:

DO I REPLACE THEM?

DH is not thrilled with spending all that money and seeing it go poof. Mostly he doesn't like the idea of removing now healthy and established trees. After all the work I've done and seeing them look good this year, I'm having second thoughts. All the garden work is my dept. and he's agreed to let me decide.(since I do all the work) (Yes, he's one in a million and I'm know how lucky I am.)

I can always just put these plane trees somewhere in the field, but I do not have any nice place to put them. Their grandeur will be lost.

I read this forum a lot, even if I don't post often, and I respect the knowedgeable people who contribute here.

What is your opinion?

Thanks for reading

Comments (8)