SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

wild roses in Ross, CA

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

Well, I was on a bike ride again this morning on the bike path that starts at the parking lot behind the Ross Post Office and runs to where Marin General Hospital is. That is the path where the huge old Fortune's Double Yellow is that I have posted about previously. Anyway, about 50 feet away from the old FDY, next to the tennis courts, I suddenly noticed an entire thicket of some sort of species rose blooming. The area around the tennis courts was recently completely dug up (with heavy machinery), re-done, and re-planted.

No one planted these roses - they have come up (and are still coming up, behind and in front of the fence) between and among some small trees that were part of the new landscaping plan. There are at least 5-6 bushes about 4 feet high, with Peptol Bismal pink 5 petalled flowers which are 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch across. New sprouts are emerging from the soil all around them. They do all look as if they had sprouted this year - probably from old roots that survived all of the earth moving? The foliage& canes are all new looking, spotless, medium green, mat, and the leaves have 7 leaflets. The flowers are larger than other species I have seen in No Cal, but maybe that is because the area is fed & irrigated.

So - roses survive & rule! I of course, didn't notice them until they bloomed - I will have to pay better attention! I will try to take pictures on Friday when we are going back there.

Jackie

Comments (18)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm