SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lagomorphmom

Rose color vs digital cameras: White Balance

lagomorphmom
14 years ago

Hi all,

Since we're having a discussion in another thread about color accuracy, I thought I'd mention for those of you who don't know about it, your color accuracy can be improved greatly by playing with the white balance settings on your digi camera.

If you use AUTO mode, it will also use auto white balance (AWB). In most cameras, AWB will not give true colors, although the newer cameras are much better.

What to do? Find your camera manual (they're available from most mfgrs on their websites if you can't find it) and check out what it has to offer on WB. Many have 'custom' settings for various kinds of common lighting situations such as tungsten, fluorescent, daylight, cloudy, shade, and for newer cameras, scene settings that add WB in the mix of exposure, speed, etc. like indoors, FOLIAGE, landscape, kids/sports, etc.

As an experiment, use a red rose in your garden. This is a great color to test with as it can go too blue or too yellow. Take several pics with your various WB options and see what the differences are. If you're feeling really ambitious to learn something new, check your manual for customizing WB for individual shots using a white card placed in front of the item you want to photograph.

For more info, just Google around for web sites that explain WB. I looked at a few but couldn't find one that was the perfect beginner page, so just gather what you need from several until you're happy.

Good WB to all!

Comment (1)