SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geekgranny

Capturing True RED with Digital Camera

geekgranny
17 years ago

As many of us know capturing a true representation of RED amaryllis is difficult. I thought maybe we could discuss this topic here and all benefit from the experience of others.

I am by no means an expert at photography. In fact I just started last year trying to get some good shots of Amaryllis in their natural lighting. Over the past couple of years I've purchased three, not too expensive, cameras mostly to take pictures of flowers and birds (and the jungle and spider monkeys when I go visit my friend at her sanctioned rescue preserve).

Yesterday, at a small gathering, I was able to "corral" one of my professional photographer neighbors to ask some questions. He was very enthusiastic about giving me some instructions. The information was not so much over my head as it was can my cameras do that.

So for getting good, true reds with as little tinkering as possible of camera, lighting, and digital photo, He, Dan, said, "Oh boy, now you asked." and went on to "discuss" this for a lengthy time. For simplicity it boils down to "white balance" on the camera. Those fortunate enough to have a camera where you can adjust the white balance experimenting with that and a white board to calibrate it is the simiplest way. I won't fully understand everything he told me until I get a white board and play around a bit.

Dan did start with basics including ambient lighting and how that affects colors. I think many of us have discovered this but what to do?

He suggested that I bring some of the plants down to his house and he could show me in no time how to get "true" colors but that is going to be really hard right now as the Amaryllis are so "delicate" when they are in full bloom. Perhaps when a few more REDS open I can cut a few to carry down there.

At any rate, guys, please report in on what you do or don't do, and everyone please ask questions to help stimulate discussions.

Thanks, geekgranny=alice

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions