SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

Please ID this recently purchased yellow rose (4 pix)

aliska12000
16 years ago

The lady can't remember for sure where she purchased them locally, mentioned one place where she thinks she got them, I will take some photos there, within the last 5 years, has two planted on one side and the other of a rental she owns next door to her house, said it wasn't an Austin but, the but implying that it was a similar type to Austin. They both looked deader than a doornail in April, every cane was bare, so I'm guessing they're an own root, made an almost miraculous recovery.

This one repeats in flushes all summer until frost.

I happened to have on my macro lens which I've been practicing with, and I am getting a little better with that, but my other lens would have done a better job. The macro lens is my hardest one, too many things to remember to do.

I like this shrub yellow rose better than any except my Harrison, not in the same class though, wish I could have some like this rather than my two Charlottes. I don't think it is Golden Celebration, the only one I saw in a store parking lot was brighter yellow iirc.

So I went and got some pictures this morning and hope somebody knows what it could be.

She has her whole front yard filled with flowers and an old iron gate, so I took some pix of all that and will ask for an ID of the perennials on that forum. Some of them would work in with some of my plants.

{{gwi:279093}}

{{gwi:279094}}

{{gwi:279095}}

{{gwi:279096}}

Comments (23)

• buford
    16 years ago

I just had my first blooms on Graham Thomas and it looks very similar.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, buford. Graham Thomas is an Austin is it not? Mine is not doing well, but photos I've seen of it are more vibrant, yellow yellow. I would say these are almost an apricot/peach shade with medium light yellow predominating, but you know your roses far better than I.

Do you happen to have a photo of your Graham you could post?

I really should try to do some research on this rose myself rather than bothering people here about it, wasn't sure where to start and have looked at so many yellow ones on the web lately. I don't think it is Teasing Georgia either, not sure, I do love that one, don't have it.

• Related Discussions

Desert Rose Plants from Thailand (pix)

Q

Comments (11)
    www.siamadenium.com Here is another site, but this seller is so high. He only deal with large order. He also sent me a catalog, but cost so much more than the previous seller without shipping. I loved his flowers and wanted to get one so bad. I asked King Adenium for one with 5 grafts with 5 colors and he said would be $400 (If order, it is going to take 3-4 months and you can order with the colors you choose from his list, double, triple, and quatro) 1/2 $$ deposit now and 1/2 when ready. May be I stop eating begin today for my order next year....hihihi....
    ...See More

Rose ID Please

Q

Comments (4)
    yellow stamens? Probably Dr. Huey, a once-blooming (in the spring) climber, that is used as a rootstock. What has happened is that another variety was purchased, but has died off, and Dr. Huey (a vigorous grower) has taken over. It isn't a good rose to grow, later in the season, it is prone to disease. If I get a chance, I'll post a photo, I have a prime specimen that I have to get rid of ASAP, or I'll lose my Classic Touch.
    ...See More

Please help ID this fragrant pinkish orange rose

Q

Comments (11)
    I had a similar rose that it took me three years to identify -- nobody on this forum could ever figure it out, but Gita at Vintage Garden finally ID'd it as Autumn. Yours looks a little paler pinker, and like maybe the buds aren't that deep orangey red before they open. Those were distinguishing features for mine, as were the leaves. Some people here had guessed Talisman and Sutter's Gold, a few guessed some other rose that I've now forgotten the name of. My advice: send your photos to Gita; Vintage Gardens grows all of these roses and she can probably tell you. I now have a new Autumn in my front yard. I'm really glad I got it ID'd and was able to purchase a plant from Vintage, because my parents sold the farm, all my cuttings of the original rose were killed by cane borers, and the old place is being turned into a WalMart so I would have never seen that rose again. Here is a link that might be useful: Autumn
    ...See More

new house, new roses - ID's please?

Q

Comments (14)
    The third one struck me as First Kiss also. First Kiss has a glow from inside. I've heard good things about the roses for dummies book, although I've not read it. It might be helpful to have a straightforward reference at hand, with nice clear pictures.
    ...See More
  • buford
    16 years ago

I don't know it that well, he just had his first blooms. Sometimes it's hard to get the exact color on the digital cameras. All my purple roses come out red and vice versa!

It certainly looks like an Austin. Teasing Georgia is lighter and the bush form is not correct (TG is more of a rambler).

I'll try to go out and take a pic of GT bloom.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, please don't inconvenience yourself too much about the photo, but if it isn't too hard in this heat, nice and cool this am, I'd appreciate it. Color rendition with digital cameras is a problem, I thought this one I've watched always looked more true medium-to-light yellow, but when I got in closer today, it does have the peachy center.

The bloom form certainly looks similar, but she was pretty sure it wasn't an Austin, repeated it even.

Here's what ARE's Graham looks like, there is a photo of the whole bush in their catalog and the bush they show in there doesn't look the same. From this photo on their website, they do look very similar. Still Graham could be or is considered a small climber, and if this one were trained, it could be, too, from the looks of it, then it wouldn't look so fountain-like.

I wonder why she doesn't deadhead it? Maybe she'll get around to it. I also wondered why she let the grass grow so close to it, doesn't seem to bother it now, I tend to mulch mine planted singly in the grass like that. It was ailing last year or she would have let me have some cuttings, think she will this year, but if it's patented and with my track record of rooting cuttings, I don't want to squander them.

{{gwi:279097}}

• hotmoffitt
    16 years ago

Can you describe the scent of the bloom? If it smells strongly during the day it could also be Crown Princess Margareta. Teasing GA has a pure yellow color - and I mean as yellow as yellow has ever been (in mine at least). These look like they have a little more orange to them. I know several others that look similar (all Austins) to yours, but each have distinct differences in the way they smell. Let us know in as much detail as you can what it smells like. Looks great!

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
    16 years ago

Both the bush and the flowers look very much like Yellow Charles Austin to me.

I'm quite sure it is not Graham Thomas, the flowers are blousier, and the bush is more arching while Graham Thomas has fewer petals, is cupshaped and the plant is usually more upright. You don't show a closeup of the leaves, but the leaves also look darker and shinier on the bush than those on Graham Thomas.

In addition, if this rose is growing in zone 5a, then it looks like it is must be quite winter hardy. Graham Thomas, in my experience is too tender to keep unprotected canes through winter if the temperature drops below -25C for more than a day or two.

That's my thoughts for what they are worth.

Cheers, Rideau Rose Lad

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow Charles Austin @ HMFRoses

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Doggone I never think to smell them. I'll go do that ASAP, probably tomorrow.

I don't think it is Charles Austin, very similar and that one would be a nice substitute if I can't get a handle on this one. Pic #23396 at HMF with the full bloom and all the buds does look very close, blooming in clusters like that and the bloom form.

Could it be a Griffith Buck rose? That is a familiar name she may not have been able to think of or some other breeder whose name isn't a household word.

I'll pursue this as far as I can, a virtual prize for whomever nails it for certain. I will check with the place she thinks she got it and talk to the buyer (I did start to do that, but it was going to mean looking through their catalogs or whatever, and I didn't have the confidence that I would be able to pick the right one) and see if she will look at this thread. Or I'll have to print some out, but my color cartridge is off, I send my photos out for printing.

Wherever it came from, it is always possible that they get different ones every year or can't get it any more. With an ID, I can try to find a vendor on the web. This is a local nursery, not a big box store.

Well, I looked at a few Griffith Buck roses, nothing really fit.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here're two of leaves (the best I got, could have done better if I'd thought to do it) and the dried, spent blooms.

BTW, I called the place where I think she said she got them, and the buyer was in. Asked if she had a computer (so I could direct her to this thread), no. She said they order all their roses from Jackson and Perkins, do not buy "dry" ones (in response to "bare root", and that J&P had a failure so they only got half their roses this year. I said people are buying off their website right now. So I guess that's out. I could look on their website or write to them and direct them to the photos perhaps.

{{gwi:279098}}

{{gwi:279099}}

{{gwi:279100}}

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Clair Renaissance?

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Too much pink. Looking at the thumbnails at HMF I thought just maybe, very similar in every way, buds tipped in red, leaves look the same, but went through the slides and where the bloom and bud clusters are almost identical, there is too much pink. This one has a more apricot center. From a ways back, it looks more yellow, but closeup, I see that there is a hint of white or lighter on the edges, true yellow on the buds, but then the open blooms look more peachy/apricot radiating almost all the way from the center to the edge to me.

That is a pretty rose though, if I didn't have so many pink ones already, I'd love that one.

I could end up being totally wrong here, but my camera renders fairly faithful color, but then I don't know how it looks on others' monitors.

• pocajun
    16 years ago

It looks kind of like Crown Princess Margareta and Jackson & Perkins does sell it.

Patrick

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It does, doesn't it? The photo from J&P is more orangey than mine, but the rest is the same from what I can see. They may have upped the saturation, and all the blossoms are in full bloom, not mixed with buds like my photos, but we are past the first flush now.

There are MANY on HMF that are a VERY good fit for CPM, several not so good, now afraid to order it from J&P because I don't want it as orange as their picture shows. Among 3 or 4 others, 53000, 47499 and 47446 at HMF really are almost a dead ringer. Also says it is a David Austin rose, wonder where she was so sure it was not, maybe the salesperson got it wrong.

Description fits more or less to a T although I couldn't find the zones. A cross with Abraham Darby.

I could happily go with that one if the zone is right and if it's not too orange. It's got to be peach/apricot/yellow w/a splash of white.

Not today, but I will call or write J&P and ask about it. No place to plant it now but would make room for it. I'm too stubborn to turn on the a/c, have the commercial fan running, will when I can't stand it any more, it's been in the lower nineties, but I'm a little worried about spending so long on my computer when it is this hot w/o the window a/c on. Oh well. What I'm saving on my utility bills in the summer I can spend on plants and gardening. Or a new computer if I don't get my act together.

Incidentally, I just picked up two really nice obelisks, usually sold only in England, at a local nursery yesterday, would have bought more if they weren't $12.95 apiece, my friend says she got hers there for $5 something. No way. I don't think. Gardman, Mini-Obelisk, 1.2 m, heavy green wire w/scrollies, skinny and rounded at the top.

One of my new roses shot out a new cane that is way long, didn't want to whack it yet. I know where my Charlottes are, and Dark Lady, and Miss Alice and Evelyn and Summer or Autumn Dream or something (wish I hadn't bought that, too bright light orange), but the lady who planted them for me messed up with the number/name matching scheme although I saved all the tags, what good is that when some are so similar? Also Pickering made a mistake on one, was supposed to be Pat Austin, it looks like it might be a stunted version of Charlotte, not doing well, certainly no PA. Wonder if I should do anything about that. They might not believe me.

Doggone, maybe it's my Evelyn, I'll have to look more up on that.

• buford
    16 years ago

aliska, I planted a few weeks ago from J&P Crown Princess Margarete. I thought she was a bit more apricot/orange than this (she has a few buds on her, but no blooms yet). I'm seeing just yellow, but as you say, it could be different on different monitors.

As luck would have it, the GT bloom I saw this AM has been fried and served as dinner for the JBs. They love them yellow roses.

• hotmoffitt
    16 years ago

Seriously, give it a sniff when the sun is shining on it. If it has a very pleasing scent it may be Crown Princess Margareta (I'm trying to find out when this was created - just to be sure it wasn't within the last year or two). I have one planted, and it sounds like it's exactly what you are looking for. I thought the orange could have just been image quality. My CPM is incredible in the sunlight, very soft light yellow with a slight slight slight, and I mean slight merge to a lightly apricot colored lower part of the petals. This causes a look that's stunning in my opinion. The bloom is obviously yellow, but you can tell there's some mild apricot coloring coming from somewhere down inside the bloom. The fragrance is awesome, very complex.
    Here's the best way I can describe how it smells: Deeply fruity aroma balanced perfectly with old rose scent.

• york_rose
    16 years ago

Does J&P sell "Romantica" roses? Could this be one of those?

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It does smell fruity, like in citrus fruit, couldn't detect anything else. But the sun was not shining. No need for more photos, so I left my cam at home and swung by there after an errand. I just plain looked at it again. I don't like the neighbors to see me becoming a regular in their neighborhood :-). My behavior must seem strange. It does look like my photos, today it even looks more apricot than yellow, and a year ago I would have sworn it was all yellow going from memory. Also from a little distance, some centers were darn close to orange, but not like the J&P photo.

I really appreciate all the input. It shows no leaf damage, does look a little ratty with all the spent blooms. Many of mine (mostly all new this year) have leaf damage. I don't know if she sprays or not, tend to think not. Those leaves looked clean and healthy.

• BriosaFarm
    16 years ago

Crown Princess Margareta. The bloom form and color is just right, the leaves look right, and the form of the bush is just right. I love this rose...only have one so far and it was a find at Lowe's of all places but was huge and healthy in a 5-gal. from Jackson & Perkins. It's gorgeous; I want more!

• BriosaFarm
    16 years ago

I forgot to say that not all the pics on HelpMeFind look like what I've seen on my CP Margareta so far (this one season only) but your pics do...exactly.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I want this one, too, a lot of them. Just hope I'm not unlucky enough to get ones that are too orange. And just because hers looks so healthy doesn't mean it will perform equally well in my yard. I have a several the slugs or whatever is ruining the look of over half of mine. A few they don't seem to bother or as much. Hers are in 100% full sun as near as I can tell even though they are planted in front of a house facing north, they are out far enough by the public sidewalk.

This one looks like it won't require as much care (I would deadhead as long as I could keep up with it), especially for one tending to yellow which I've read here tend to be difficult at times.

I'm glad my photos match yours so closely. That is reassuring and a little surprising since our zones are so far apart. The zone thing is not an issue because I saw how hers made such a remarkable comeback, so they must be pretty hardy. I doubt if she did anything to protect them for the winter, and they weren't doing too well last year but still put out blooms.

CPM has a TM, so it would be unethical to ask for cuttings after all.

Do you have any photos of yours?

• BriosaFarm
    16 years ago

Hi, aliska, I'll try to get some pics when the crop of current buds open. I'm trying to figure out how to share a thought in a friendly "let's chat about roses and our experiences" way that doesn't sound pompous or preachy....when you say you hope you're not unlucky enough to get ones that are too orange....well, sometimes this rose *will* look sort of "orange" or at least the color of orange juice. Sometimes it will look the purest soft apricot sometimes a golden apricot, sometimes it will have apricot, orange juice, and soft peach all mixed and then a day or two later will be a different color. That is one of the beauties of many roses, and especially of the Austin roses. I'm just mentioning this because I happened to notice in some of your posts that you have some concerns that roses won't look like the pictures, or that they will look like one certain picture that is a shade you don't care for. Sincerely, I don't mean this in a "talking down to you" way, but you do need to be prepared for the form, shade and sometimes even the color of roses to be different (sometimes wildly different) at different stages of maturity, at different times of the year, and sometimes even from one week to the other if the weather changes dramatically. You should see my Gruss an Aachens right now, they don't look like any pics of them I've ever seen and I probably wouldn't have fallen in love with them if the only pics I'd ever seen looked like my whole bush full of blooms does right now; but part of the fun is knowing that next week or next month, or especially this fall...it'll be like having a whole different rose!

• buford
    16 years ago

Yes, my CPM just had her first bloom and it is more yellow than orange. So that could be it. I do hope mine gets a bit deeper. I wanted a contrast with GT and GC.

• aliska12000
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GT = Graham Thomas, GC? I'm glad yours is more yellow. A nice contrast would be Pat Austin. What do I know? But I'm sorry it isn't what you were hoping for.

All day I've been resisting the temptation to order about 3 of them, called Lowe's, they don't have any, called the place where the lady got hers, they don't have it.

Looked on J&P website and was so tempted. I don't have a scheme worked out or spot prepared for it/them or I would have ordered some.

I still have four sitting in pots. I don't like the one and wish I hadn't bought it. Awakening. The other one, Hettie, I just love and can't make up my mind whether to give the two front row center on my arbor instead of waiting for two White Dawn. I like Hettie better but it only climbs six feet, and I have a chance that WD might go over the top.

I just hate all these decisions.

Actually yours might get deeper. Some of the roses I'm disappointed in may get deeper. They look washed out. If they don't they are history.

• buford
    16 years ago

GC = Golden Celebration, another Austin yellow.