SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evie1955

What's Your Favorite Pink Rose?

evie1955
16 years ago

Hi,

Thanks to all that responded to my red rose post! They are all so beautiful:)

Now I'm looking for a pink HT too, will be on the other side of Double Delight and the red rose. DD will be in the center.

What is your fav and why? I'm looking for it all including fragrance:) The more pics the better, especially full plant shots.

Thanks so much in advance,

`Evie

Comments (52)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Tiffany. You will probably want a classic like Double Delight. Tiffany's your girl.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

Space here is at a premium. I say this because to be selected for my small patch means I must think the rose is very special- if I could only have one pink HT Tiffany would be my first choice. BTW at one time (before shade consumed the bed) my first Tiffany was planted close to DD. I thought they looked pretty good together.

• Related Discussions

whats your favorite pink iris.

Q

Comments (3)
    Alice Goodman is my favorite pink. I have it next to Beverly Sills, and in my garden, they are the same color: a beautiful warm pink. Alice Goodman is a bit bigger and has more ruffles. The foliage is really a nice blue-green. Alice Goodman reblooms. If she likes cool pinks or hot pinks, that's a different matter. One that I just bought and have not yet planted is Jennifer Rebecca, another rebloomer. I think it is more of a pale orchid than a cool pink, but most call it pink. My mom has Sweet Musette, which is just a beauty and very tall. It has cool pink and warm peachy colors. Lady Friend is a deep rose that changes color all day and is a very early bloomer. I have heard that it reblooms occasionally in warm areas. None of these are fussy irises. If they can bloom for me, they will bloom for your mom. Renee
    ...See More

Zone 5 Rose Gardeners "What's Your Favorite Rose'?

Q

Comments (41)
    I live in zone 5 a little west of Madison WI and have a "Blaze Improved" that has been in for over 8 years. I live in a valley so I get lots of wind and a little cooler climate than in town, my lilacs bloom 2 weeks after the ones there. I didn't do a very good job of taking care of Blaze (didn't prune, water regularly, or fertilize up till 2 years ago). The pictures below are from today, October 3rd, and it's still cranking out the 2.25" blooms on the 5-6 foot canes. It does get BS here but I don't care, this has got to be the bloomingist rose I have. The color is a true, rich, beautiful red that does not fade (picture color is pretty accurate). Little or no fragrance to me. I don't do anything special in the winter except dump a half bag of chip bark mulch on the base for winter and sometimes if I have extra oak leaves I use those instead. There is very little die back or pruning to do come spring. From what I've read, 'Blaze' is zone 6-10, blooms on old wood, and 'Blaze Improved' is zone 5-9 blooms on new and old wood, if that helps for pruning. Very consistent and dependable. This is a repost from the Blaze topic.
    ...See More

Favorite Pink or Pink Blend good as cut roses

Q

Comments (22)
    I planted Beverly last year, I'm not sure yet how much I'm going to like the blooms, but I do think they will be very attractive, I'm anxious to see what it does this year. It is one healthy rose bush and I believe it is going to be prolific, and it is very fragrant! Mine is on multiflora. Beverly is the light pink one in the middle.
    ...See More

What's your favorite pink dahlia?

Q

Comments (4)
    Every single one of these pictured, except possibly BQ Vivian (too soon to tell- 2016 new intro), make really good, plentiful tubers that store well. Gitts Perfection tends to take its sweet ol' time eyeing up and starting the bloom show, but is worth the wait. Gitts Perfection, V's DF and Alloway candy tend to be very short, around 3.5 feet, but still need supported (like any dahlia 3' & higher). Elsie Huston tends to get really tall, around 6-7 feet, and is very floratious for such a large bloom.
    ...See More
  • moodyblue
    16 years ago

Oh boy, that is a toughy, although I am really into fragrance, two of my favourite pinks do not have this.

My favourites with heavy fragrance and pretty tidy and very abundant are

Sharifa Asma
    Pretty Jessica

• phylrae
    16 years ago

I used to have Paris d'ves St. Laurent, which was the most beautiful pink I'd ever seen. It was my first year growing roses, and I lost quite a few. I want to get it again, it was that gorgeous. Helpmefind.com's pics were very accurate.
    Depends on the form you want...I also loved Yves Piaget. We have Tiffany, Qn. Eliz., Bride's Dream (very light pink). I have to say, Tiffany doesn't do much for me (ducking head, expecting tomatoes to be thrown at her!)
    Have fun looking! :0) Phyl

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Tiffany (I have 2).
    Memorial Day is nice too, but, Tiffany is my answer.

Now, if you hadn't limited the response to hybrid teas, my answer would be Marchesa Boccella (Jacques Cartier).

• veelakin
    16 years ago

Evie set some criteria that were at once rather loose AND quite rigid. She's *looking for it all, including fragrance*, ergo: Tiffany. How many pink HTs have been released since Tiffany (yawn)? A number of them surpass her in one way or another, but which of the lot 'has it all'? Tiffany doesn't either, but she comes pretty darned close.

BTW, any of you growing Tiffany's new white sport, RK Witherspoon? If so, give us an opinion . . .

• Carrie_AZ
    16 years ago

My fav is Gene Boerner and the picture below will tell you why {{gwi:270161}}
    The darker pink blooms is Gene Boerner, the lighter pink is Lady Diana(not Prncess of Wales, this rose is called Lady Diana)

I have to mention my other favs I have:
    Lady Diana
    Valentine (which was sold by J&P a few years back, I think that is the name, it might be, be my valentine, the tag has been lost)
    If you remember the name of the rose let me know of the correct name, it is beautiful. Does anyone have Aromatherapy, if you do how is it???? It to is a pink rose.
    Carrie

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

Carrie, that pic of the Gene B. and Lady Di arrangement is beautiful.

• moodyblue
    16 years ago

That's a lovely posie Carrie!

Could the rose you are thinking of be Valentine Heart. Such a gorgeous vigorous pink rose by Harkness. If it is that one, it is a beaut, but unfortunately lacks fragrance.

• antiquerose-lady
    16 years ago

Mine are: Belinda's Dream, Mrs. B.R. Cant, and Gene Boerner.

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What a bunch of enablers you are:) I'm loving it, keep them coming:)

Here's the garden it will be going in, the pic was taken a couple of weeks ago, DD is bigger now.

The red rose will go where the red geranium is and the pink rose will go where the pink one is:) maybe a couple of minis will repace the 2 gerbera daisies, depends how well they hold up through the winter down here.

{{gwi:285220}}

• st_rose
    16 years ago

Roayl Highness -

It is not fragrant to my nose, but I just love its color and flower. I also have Bride's Dream. A lot of people think Bride's Dream is an improvement on Roayl Highness, but not for me. My main gripe is that Bride's Dream's flowers do not open up wide like Royal Highness (almost always seem to be half-opened only in my garden) and the flowera are smaller. Tenderness is not a problem in my zone 9 weather, and Royal Highness produces more more flowers.

The new Betty White has very pretty color to and fragrant to me nose. It has more old-fashioned flower form.

• jean_ar
    16 years ago

Memorial Day,,and Belinda's Dream is not a HT but its gorgeous anyway.

Jean

• rochesterroseman
    16 years ago

The most dramatic pink rose I have ever seen is First Prize. Creamy light and dark pink petals on huge flowers. In my yard, First Prize is more reliably fragrant than my Tiffany, although Tiffany is much newer, so I hope it will develop more scent eventually.
    {{gwi:285221}}

• jlalfred
    16 years ago

BILLY GRAHAM

• niecey
    16 years ago

These are some of yy Favorite Pink Roses Coral Dawn
    {{gwi:285222}}
    {{gwi:285223}}
    Bridal Pink
    {{gwi:285224}}
    Jens Munk
    {{gwi:285225}}
    Dainty Bess
    {{gwi:285226}}
    Jubilee Celebration
    {{gwi:285227}}
    {{gwi:285228}}
    Niecey

• devon_gardener
    16 years ago

If it's a hybrid-tea you want, then I agree with rochesterroseman. There is nothing to match "First Prize". It is huge, dramatic and has three or four swirling pink shades all over it.

• lesdvs9
    16 years ago

Man, Evie you're killing me with your thread here! You can do all the red threads you want.

Flashing beautiful pink roses however is one of my weaknesses...

Niecey, I can't stand it, I'm going to have to get Dainty Bess. Pic after pic of it, all these months, I can't stand it any more:)

Sorry for interrupting:)
    Les

• devon_gardener
    16 years ago

By the way niecey, your pics are great! Your roses look amazing! Don't you go nuts for Jubilee Celebration? It's my new fave for sure. Good gardening to ya.

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

I'm fond of David Austin's 'Heritage'.

Randy

{{gwi:285230}}

• mary1nys
    16 years ago

My Gentle Giant is putting on a show right now. Covered in blooms!
    {{gwi:285232}}
    Earth Song {{gwi:285234}}g

• curlydoc
    16 years ago

Perfume Delight. Deep pink. Goes well with Double Delight, with similar plant size, bloom size and fabulous fragrance. See below today's pix of Perfume Delight, Double Delight, Peace, and my dog Boomer.

Perfume Delight, Double Delight, Peace, Boomer
    {{gwi:285236}}

Perfume Delight, Double Delight, Peace
    {{gwi:285238}}

Perfume Delight Bush
    {{gwi:285240}}

Perfume Delight Spray
    {{gwi:285241}}

Perfume Delight Bloom Bug
    {{gwi:285243}}

Double Delight
    {{gwi:285244}}

Peace
    {{gwi:256298}}

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    16 years ago

I would nominate Electron, Pink Parfait, Comte de Chambord (keep it sprayed, blackspot magnet, but does like heat), Century II, and Marijke Koopman. My Pink Parfait consistently puts out the flowers although they are on the small side and don't have a lot of petals.

• ken_se_fl
    16 years ago

Trust me on this one. I just saw the picture of your garden area. Double Delight will have a tendensey to grow "out" before it goes "up". So your red and pink need to go "up". Queen Elizabeth should work fairly well in your area. I was going to say Belinda's Dream but she turns in to a monster size bush. Mine is 8 yrs old; 6ft. tall, 5ft. wide all the way around. Big beautiful full bush that is loaded with tons of great smelling medium pink blooms. Way to big for your area. The Queen would fit perfect in there.( Belinda's Dream is officially a "shrub" and Queen Elizabeth is a "Grandaflora" ) I think I know what I'm talking about. I've been growing roses in central and SE FL since the early 1970's.

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all:) I've having fun reading all the responses and seeing the gorgeous pics.

Would like to see more full bush pics too if possible.

My Double Delight has over a dozen buds on it, she'll be 2 months old on the 22nd (well planted in my ground). I know she's stil la babe, would love to see one of those full bushes too a couple of more years old.

Thanks,
    ~Evie

• Lisa_H OK
    16 years ago

I love Electron. I have Pink Peace and Electron, they both look similar to my eyes, but Electron has longer stems for cutting. Both have a wonderful scent. They were both recommended to me by the forum when I was looking for a rose in memory of my mother.

{{gwi:285247}}

{{gwi:208398}}

Lisa

• gdooley
    16 years ago

Evie,

Just be aware that a number of the roses mentioned here will get very large in Florida. Heritage, Belinda's Dream, Bride's Dream, Tiffany, Perfume Delight, First Prize all can get very large especially if grown on fortuniana. Any of these roses in itself could consume the entire area that you have pictured above. If possible, you should try to space the roses at least four feet apart... five or six would be better. Plan for success!!!

Speaking from experience and with a back that still hurts from moving a bunch of roses this winter that I planted too close together (even though I knew better).

Good luck and let us know which pink that you choose.

Glenn

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Glen.

I went to a local Rose Society meeting last night and saw Perfume Delight up close and some others mentioned. They were in front of a delivery truck with many around so didn't really get to smell any of them.

The different plants I have in the bed with Double Delight are just for filling the space until I plant more roses. Down here many have Gerebera Daisies as a perrenial however I will move them in a heattbeat to plant the right rose. Also have 2 Shasta Daisies near the back I can also move without hesitation.

I'm looking for a red (possibly VH) and pink (still debating) to plant on either side of DD. I need fragrance, form, winning, good resistance to blackspot and mildew, prolific bloomer, etc. I'm also looking plants that will grow about the same as DD regarding shape and height. I really want it all or as much as possible, also flowers that last on the bush stem for at least several days.

I'm so new to this that any suggeestions will help. For now I only have the DD and Gold Medal as in ground roses. Gold Medal is planted by itself in a different area.

Will go measure the bed today, it's larger then it may look in the pic.

All of the pics and suggestions in this thread are helping, thanks to all.

~Evie

• mrcrip
    16 years ago

The Emily rose is my favourite pink rose. It did take some time to get the bush moving, but now it produces beautiful blooms year after year. There is only one rose grower in the UK producing the Emily Rose which is Apuldram Roses.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Emily Rose

• teka2rjleffel
    16 years ago

Niecey, what is the red beauty in the bottom pic.?
    Isn't Gene Boerner a floribunda?
    Classy Carol (Edmund's exclusive) is one of my few HT's and she is nice in the vase, see:
    {{gwi:285248}}
    Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    16 years ago

One of the other pluses of Tiffany is that she is not a space eater. For me she never got more then 3 feet or so wide. She basically grows straight up.

• BecR
    16 years ago

Hi Evie. Pink roses are my favorite, and I can vouch for all of the pink roses mentioned above and then some. However, I can't see pink right up next to Double Delight. How about getting another DD, and place a red rose (like VH or Mr. Lincoln) in the middle? I've seen that combinatiion and it looks very well. Just my two cents.
    Becky

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sounds nice Becky, I was thinking today that the pink next to DD would be too much as well.

I really don't want to move DD though if I can help it.

I don't know, which I could see a full shot pic of all together.

Moonstone is also nother suggestion for the pink which starts out white.

I'l llisten to all but really would like to keep DD where it sits if possible.

• Noni Morrison
    16 years ago

Someone asked about Aromatherapy. I just picked my first one today. I nearly swooned when I smelled it! Wasn't sure that it was Aromatherapy until I smelled it and then I knew there could not possibly another name for it! THis first blossom has been open a few days I think, and it is still showing nice form with a pretty tuft of stamens barely visable in the center. The outer petals have bleached out to a lighter shade of pink while the center ones are a deep pink but the both shades of the pink are very pretty. The fragrance is quite complex..... I don't smell lemony scents so this is not lemony at all, or if it is then it is more complex even then what I do pick up!

• luxrosa
    16 years ago

How did I get on the modern rose page? well now that I'm here...
    My favorite pink Hybrid Teas are
    1. "Harriny". from Harkness. Altogether an outstanding pink rose and far from ordinary. The edges are a delicate shell pink, and deepen to a lively hue of medium pink, with a golden base. The shades of pink are breathtaking in their subtlety.

2 La France, I adore its almond shaped buds, its floriferousness and fragrance.

3. Tiffany, for graceful bloom style and yummy scent.

4. "First Prize". The blooms are gi-normous as my young neighbor says, the size of a small cantaloupe. Petals are thick and luscious. It even has pretty leaves. The former owner planted it here in the 70's and it is now the size of a Tea rosebush, a good 7 feet across.

Luxrosa

• niecey
    16 years ago

Nancy the red beauty in the bottom pic is
    Red Fountain.

And you are right, Gene Boerner is a floribunda.
    Niecey

• william7b
    16 years ago

Tiffany, of course. Of all the HT's I grow, this one has class. Long stemmed, fragrant, beautiful color, and absolutely reliable.
    Bill

• evie1955
    Original Author
    16 years ago

lizalily,

Am wondering how Amomatherapy di for you?

TTYS,
    ~Evie

• ceterum
    16 years ago

If you want a fragrant pink, Paris d'Yves St. Laurent, First prize are out. Belinda's dream does not last long in vase. Bride's Dream is gorgeous - but no much fragrance and the thrips love it.

Frederic Mistral is my absolute favorite for fragrance but it is a huge rose. So is Tiffany (7'). Memorial Day a little bit shorter but not much and also wide as Frederic Mistral.
    If you want a short fragrant pink, Yves Piaget is good.

• ceterum
    16 years ago

I forgot to add Parole and Jadis (Fragrant Memory). Oh and the best of the bests: Souvenir de la Malmaison.

• jont1
    16 years ago

I have several pinks that I really like.
    Rose Rhapsody, Brides Dream, Affirm, Louise Estes, Fame!, and especially Lisa Maree which really surprised me, and the floribunda Our Lady of Guadalupe with its' silvery pink are outstanding to my eye. Oh, and don't let me forget Elizabeth Taylor and the pink that J&P included in the Test Panel last year and again this year. That one really surprised me with it's flowers that are heavy in substance and really blooms well. At one point last year I counted 25 blooms on that test rose. Not bad at all for a first year own-root bush. If they go to market with it, I would certainly advise you to get it for your garden. It is a lovely rose.
    John

• dennisb1
    16 years ago

For HT, Tiffany is my favorite, followed by Queen Elizabeth

• User
    16 years ago

PINK PEACE
    {{gwi:285251}}
    or the rose credited as the first PINK HT La France very very fragrant can ball in wet weather
    {{gwi:285252}}

• lavenderrose
    16 years ago

Everytime I read one of these posts I have to go out and measure the garden again to see if I can't squeeze just one more in! Now I have to find room for another Tiffany & an Our Lady.

Tiffany definitely has fragrance & form & tenacity. James Galway & Old Blush are pleasing too.

• julie22
    16 years ago

I'm going to put a twist on this. You have Double Delight (my mother's favorite and mine is gorgeous). You want a pink to put with it. OK. There are just so many wonderful pink roses out there the decision could be difficult at best. So, let me see...

Double Delight even at it's very best is about 4 feet tall. At least mine doesn't seem to want to get much larger. I see a lot of folks offering Tiffany which in intself is gorgeous! However, Tiffany in my garden had a tendency to get to be at least 7 feet tall. The same with Touch of Class, Heritage and a number of these beautiful pinks including the wonderful Gemini.

It appears to me, from the way you describe this, that you would like Double Delight to be the focal rose of this garden. May I suggest Fragrant Cloud? I don't have any pictures, but you can find one here http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pics.php?l=2.1785&nr=56470. There are really a lot of pink roses that would be wonderful with Double Delight. How about a floribunda, Our Lady of Guadloupe? It has a tendency to be probably a little smaller than Double Delight, but being a floribunda, it may not have the cutting quality you are looking for. There is always Chicago Peace, a gorgeous sport of the Peace rose and a very lovely shade of dusty pink. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1147 I absolutely love the color of this rose. It too, should get about the same size as DD.

To the person who sent the picture of Classy Carol...can you tell me more about this rose? I have plans on getting two next year, one for me and one for my SIL, Carol. It looks beautiful. Thanks tons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardening and Other Stuff

• rainbow_2007
    16 years ago

Souvenir de la malmaison is small enough for that space and it is fragrant and pretty healthy for me(I don't spray).
    {{gwi:285253}}

• iowa_jade
    16 years ago

For a HT this is a very nice rose. It comes in very nice flushes. Not sure just how big Yves would get in your area.

F.L.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yves Phewgut

• alla_pa
    16 years ago

Yves Piget is too big for the area. It's 5'tall and 7'wide in my garden.
    The area seems to be small for three rose bushes, what is it's size?

• Molineux
    16 years ago

SOUVENIR DE LA MALMAISON (Bourbon, Jean Béluze, France 1843)

Has everything that I'm looking for in a pink rose: soft color, translucent petals like sheer silk, perfect quartered Old-Garden-Rose (OGR) flower form, strong yet complex fragrance, strong/straight stem, long vase life, graceful growth habit, disease resistant foliage, and hardy in my zone. Blooms do have a habit of balling in wet weather, but something this beautiful must have at least one flaw.

But you should know that PRETTY JESSICA is giving SdlM a run for its money.