SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marciamary_gw

flowering trees--coralburst crabapple

marciamary
13 years ago

I was looking for a small, fragrant pink blossomed tree that would attract birds for my flower garden. Somebody suggested a coralburst crabapple but I was having a hard time finding one. After calling many nurseries I finally found somebody who had some and on the phone he said it was a dwarf which was what I wanted. I was a little disappointed with it when I saw it because it was very short and squatty with only about a 6 to 8 inch trunk and barely 42 inches tall overall. I still purchased it and planted it but I am now really wishing I'd done more looking because it has almost no trunk at all and when planted the branches look like they are practically coming out of the ground. I planted the tree level with the ground like the seller advised. I was going to contact the seller to see if I could take it back because somebody told me this coralburst should look like a lollipop crabapple only in pink with a nice slender trunk and nicely shaped rounded branches on top. I was reading on the internest coralburst also comes as a bush if it's not on a standard and I don't see how this could be on a standard because the trunk is almost non existent so it seems like it must be a bush because it sure looks like one. I paid $100 for this tree and think I got seriously ripped off. Somebody else suggested I cut off a few of the lowest branches each year and that would help it gradually get more of a trunk. I tried calling the seller and asking him about it but he was very rude and not helpful at all. I did want a dwarf tree as far as overall height but I didn't want a bush. I've spent hours on the internet looking trying to find a really nice tree and am very disappointed with this "tree." I would be open to any suggestions about what to do at this point. Thanks in advance!

Comments (2)