SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molineux_gw

Madame Isaac Pereire

Molineux
9 years ago

This is MME. ISAAC PEREIRE, a Bourbon rose that was hybridized by Armand Garcon in 1881 France. A classic rose MIP has a lot going for it. The blooms are extremely large for an Old Garden Rose. Adequately feed, watered and disbudded for one-rose-to-a stem you can expect the blossoms to measure 3-4 inches in width. The fragrance is INTENSE and everything you could want from a rose. To my nose the bouquet is dominated by a heavy Damask parfume overlaid with a delightful scent of ripe raspberries. The plant shows exceptional vigor and grows very well on its own roots. By her second year this ravishing rose was nearly mature. Trust me, this is unusual for an own root plant grown from a tiny band. Madame Isaac Pereire can be trained as a climber but I find you get better repeat bloom when she is kept pruned down into a manageable shrub. Her only fault is the foliage is susceptible to black spot, which is easily controllable if you're willing to apply a fungicide.

This picture was taken with my Android last week. I have her growing with foxgloves and blue delphiniums. An amazing sight!

Comments (36)

• idixierose
    9 years ago

Piling on with another photo...a little love fest for Mme. Isaac.
    I love your photo. Mme. IP is one of my favorites, too. You describe the fragrance perfectly.

For now, one of mine is spread out on a pipe trellis and the other is on an arch. The one on the trellis blooms better, probably because the canes are bent out horizontally. Both bushes grew from cuttings I rooted.

I wish the rose would rebloom more reliably. This spring, I fertilized generously after the big show and already it's reblooming a bit.

I give my Madame Isaac lots of goodies throughout the season -- manure, compost, fertilizer, Super Thrive, Sea Hume, Mills mix, Miracle Gro, foliar snacks, water.

By the end of summer, I cut out older and weak canes, about a third of the total canes in all.

I tried pegging one bush, but didn't really have the space to pull it off, so put it on the trellis.

I keep thinking Mme Isaac would be a good candidate for growing on a hitching post-type support. Bend the canes over the top bar and anchor the tips of the cane and let other canes spill over the top.

• lou_texas
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love mine too. Right now it's nearly denuded from blackspot because I don't spray, but she'll come right back and look good. There's just this one period of the year when she comes down with BS. Lou

• Related Discussions

Is this Rose Rosette on 'Madame Isaac Pereire'?

Q

Comments (6)
    That looks very much like freeze damage that I get here in the spring all the time. If those canes were freeze damaged last fall they may never produce normal growth and will eventually die back. Although from your pictures the canes themselves look green and healthy so I'd give them a chance. I'm sure you've probably already had some frosts this spring as well (and we're expecting one here this weekend, oh joy!) so any really tender new growth could still be damaged again. This is my least favorite time of year for that reason. Keep it on the porch so it's more protected and give it some time. I think it will be fine. As for it not leafing out as quickly as the others, every variety has it's own time table for that. Some will pump out new growth at the first sign of any kind of sun or warmth and others will wait for it to get really warm, or hot even, before they budge a millimeter. Don't expect them all to react the same way to any weather conditions. Like children, they all have unique personalities!
    ...See More

Madame Isaac Pereire blooming

Q

Comments (8)
    That is a lovely photo of Mme Isaac Pereire. Thank-you for sharing it. I used to grow her in my garden in England. She got to about 8 feet, although I wouldn't have called her growth habit tidy. But when those blooms open, you forgive any drawback. She is so lush. My garden in England was about an 8 or 9 zone. Daisy
    ...See More

Madame Isaac Pereire not blooming

Q

Comments (6)
    I have to say she is finniky, but when she goes, she goes! Actually I remember when she was young in a differnt location, she was so low to the ground for a few years. Now moved, she is quite tall. When she puts on a good show, she is awesome and the fragrance is one of the best! Good luck, she will be worth the wait! Also, weather, very permitting IMO! Pauline - Vancouver Island
    ...See More

Do I need to winterize my madame isaac pereire?

Q

Comments (2)
    One of these years the mulch mound is going to really bite you. You'll have winterkill from canker near the ground that you wouldn't get if you just ignored the roses. If they are leafing out practically to the tips, they aren't getting any benefit from it. Just do nothing to hardy roses.
    ...See More
  • JamieHarris1790
    9 years ago

Wow the pictures are just stunning! Thanks for sharing :)

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

I may have to sneak into my old garden or a former client's garden to snag a photo someday. I haven't planted her in my current, tiny no spray garden, but I remember her beauty and fragrance and am so pleased that you and others grow and appreciate Madame. She's singularly magnificent! Carol

• jerijen
    9 years ago

In Coastal Southern California, 'Mme. Isaac Pereire' mildews to a remarkable degree, while simultaneously rusting.

It is also one of a very few roses which also blackspot significantly here.

As with real estate -- the success of roses depends upon Location, Location, Location. I suspect she wants a bit of winter chill -- which she does not get here, poor dear.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jeri is right. Location is key. I haven't ever seen a speck of rust or mildew of MIP. Right now the foliage is clean as a whistle because I've been up on my spraying.

• jaxondel
    9 years ago

Equally as impressive as MIP in every way is her sport, 'Madame Ernest Calvat'. I happen to prefer MEC's powdery-pink color, but mine is probably the minority opinion. I'm linking to a photo of MEC that Jeri posted long ago at HMF . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Madame Ernest Calvat @ HMF

• cziga
    9 years ago

I LOVE this rose. Sure, she gets some blackspot here (I don't spray at all) but she doesn't seem like too much of a JB magnet and the huge, blousy blooms are just spectacular. But it is the fragrance which just floors you :) I love the deep, rich raspberry scent and I am trying to train her to climb up and over my garden gate so I can see and smell those blooms every time I walk in. Just gorgeous ... mine is actually a slightly darker colour than the two photos posted here

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    9 years ago

Gorgeous pictures, all of them, of a romantic and beautiful rose.

• Molineux
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately I've not been so lucky with her lighter lilac-pink sport MME. ERNEST CALVAT. It got neglected in a bed full of choking weeds for a few years and has never bounced back. The plant is still alive but no higher than a foot. I blame myself more than the rose. I'm trying to take better care of her this year but the poor thing is no higher than a foot. The few blooms I did get where gorgeous and sinfully fragrant as well.

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

Everyone's pictures of MIP are just beautiful and makes me wish I could smell her thu my computer screen.

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

This is a wonderful rose, I love the blooms and the fragrance; it's very colorful in the garden.

{{gwi:276492}}

{{gwi:276494}}

• sara_ann-z6bok
    9 years ago

Everyone's MIP roses are lovely!

• zeffyrose
    9 years ago

Your Rose is wonderful----sure wish I had smellavision----
    It looks great next to the Foxglove.

Florence

• true_blue
    9 years ago

This is a rose I've dreamed of always. Stunning.

Krista does the Madame die to ground in zone 4 or not?

How cane hardy is she, till the snow line?

This post was edited by true-blue on Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 12:13

• zjw727
    9 years ago

These photos are gorgeous- love Mme Isaac Pereire! I also grow Mme. Ernest Calvat, whose color I prefer, with the same intoxicating fragrance, but MIP always seems to have bigger, fuller flowers.

• windeaux
    9 years ago

It's heartening to know that there are many other enthusiastic 'Mme Isaac Pereire' devotees around . . .

For any of you who might have missed it, here's a link to an earlier thread about the quite unconventional life of the lady herself . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Mon Dieu! How Mlle Pereire became Mme Pereire

• Krista_5NY
    9 years ago

I'm in zone 5. It's normally about 4 feet tall and 3 1/2 feet wide. Typically it does not die back to the ground. After pruning it would be 2-3 feet tall.

After this winter I pruned it back to 12 inches tall. Now it's two feet tall. It should regain its height over time.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks. I assumed the 4 after your name meant zone 4 :-)

• professorroush
    9 years ago

Sorry true-blue, don't think MIP will do much in Zone 4....pretty sure she'll die to the ground. Mine did this year and I'm theoretically Zone 6, but had a Zone 4 winter.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Professor, thanks for your input. Not that I have any place left to grow the Madame :-)

However, it might interest you that the rose is "grown" in Montreal, including the Montreal botanical gardens. Of course that doesn't mean anything, it might as you say die to the ground or it might thrive due to a more than adequate snow cover...

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    9 years ago

This rose has been in my garden for several months now, bloomed for the first time this Spring, and I am happy that I took the time to find the right spot for it. Initially, the only space I had for it was one where it received some afternoon heat, which it could not tolerate. Now it is in a large pot where it receives morning sun and it is healthy and happy. The month of July is the test for most of everything in my garden; I hope it survives. The fragrance is divine and the blooms are gorgeous!

Lynn

• cziga
    9 years ago

true blue - I'm in Zone 5, near Toronto, which shouldn't be too different from Quebec. I have Madame Isaac Pereire growing in my garden now, for at least several years. I would tend to agree with Krista_4 ... mine has die-back but won't die back to the ground. I don't winter protect her any more (I did the first year with mulch piled around the base) and the taller canes die back but I'd agree that after pruning it would be about 2-3 ft tall. But she will grow. She'll shoot up some nice climbing canes that will wrap up around the sides of the gate and even a little over top.

Even with this harsh winter we just had, she didn't die completely to the ground, and she is recovering nicely. I always wanted this rose too, it is one of the first roses I ever wanted to get, and I'm very glad that I did :)

• nikthegreek
    9 years ago

The trick to growing MIP in a hot climate is lots of water and then some more and morning sun only (as Lynn found out).
    Even then she might suffer from the heat a bit but she will recover come fall. In a warm climate like mine she can become quite large and unruly.
    Nik

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    9 years ago

Just planted Madame this year, and she sat around until the weather went over 80 degrees. Then the tiny plant put out buds. I can't wait until she grows. I've grown her before and in this dry climate, there were no diseases at all. At 90+ degrees, the flowers in afternoon shade last for several days (although in my old house, against a west facing wall, the flowers fried by mid-morning). I have to admit that I find the color a bit garish, but I'll get over it.

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks cziga for the info. We have the polar vortex thingy every year, but we have a lot snow. By mid January the roses are covered by 5-6' of snow :-)

• fragrancenutter
    8 years ago

Hi Nik or anyone from the hotter zones.... how does this rose repeat for you? I put mine in the ground this Spring and had a flush of flowers but it did not repeat at all in summer and put out long 4m canes which I have trained on the wall as a climber. It is Autumn here now and the long horizontal canes are throwing laterals along them. I wonder if these will end up flowering....

• nikthegreek
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'm just managing to get her to bloom twice (spring and fall with the latter one being much less profuse). It does get more shady where she is during high summer which may be affecting her tendency to bloom (but then her blooms would have quickly fried anyhow, I think). Still, she's a young plant and I hope for some improvement as she matures. The flush I'm expecting to start soon promises to be the best so far, a fact that I attribute both to her being older and to the unusually wet and chilly winter and spring we had this year. My few once blooming OGR's are also promising a good flush this year (if mildew doesn't get the best of them..).

I do prune mine (conservatively) in the winter and I also help her defoliate. This latter action has proved very beneficial for her health come spring and summer.

• DLEverette_NC_Zone7b
    4 years ago

Wanted to bump this thread. Mine bloomed once this year and has put on a TON of new growth, but hasn't bloomed since the spring. This is its second season as an own-root plant. Is this normal?

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    4 years ago

I have MEC, not MIP, same results. She bloomed in spring, lots of growth, about 95 to 90% clean in Houston which is jaw dropping (others range from completely defoliated to about 50% bs), but no blooms over summer. Waiting to see what fall brings. But she is a baby, so things may change...

• MetteBee_Copenhagen8b
    4 years ago

My MIP bloomed twice this year despite being moved in February. It's placed next to a wall in one of the best spots in my garden, getting midday and evening sun in summer. I love this rose for its shape, colour and scent. It's the one I look at every day in early summer to see how far the buds have come.

• DLEverette_NC_Zone7b
    4 years ago

MetteBee_Copenhagen8b Mine is in a similar spot with midday and evening sun. Pretty amazing yours bloomed twice though. Is yours own root? Is it growing as a bush or climber?

• bjstapp14
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I bought an mme isaac pereire bourbon, variegata di bologna bourbon, honorine de brabant bourbon rose being delivered in May to Pennsylvania. What is the best way to grow these roses?

• MetteBee_Copenhagen8b
    3 years ago

I don't think I ever saw the question from @DLEverette_NC_Zone7b, sorry about that. I grow Mme Isaac as a climber against a south facing wall. It gets sun maybe from 11-12 to sundown, with a couple of hours shade from a giant walnut tree. It is grafted, have no idea on what. Common in Denmark is Rosa Laxa and Multiflora. It is not very vigerous, but I have been quite hard on it, moving it around too much.

As for Honorine de Brabant, my aunt is growing it. It is a giant 7 feet tall bush, that she grows too close to a path and has to cut severely. I love it and have to find a place for it.

• monarda_gw
    3 years ago

This and its sport always used to be mentioned as among the most fragrant roses of all.