SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
atharaenea

Do I need to winterize my madame isaac pereire?

Atharaenea
9 years ago

I just bought a baby madame isaac pereire this spring, which lived in a pot until it was cool enough to dig in the ground and plant it (July 4th - I waited until it was cooler because I didn't want to die of heat stroke). It was about 6" tall when I bought it, and now it has 1 cane that's 4' tall and it's about 2.5' across, and 3 other canes that are about 2' tall each and growing. It lives on the southwest side of a fence and gets full sun from about noon to sunset.

I also have a knock out rose and some mysterious type of rose that I suspect is a rambler. In the past, I just buried the very base of those roses with maybe 6" of mulch and left the canes exposed, and they've both done well. Maybe a couple inches of frostbite on the ends of the rambler but otherwise they've been fine.

I'm just wondering what the new MIP needs in terms of winter care for my zone. I plan on at least burying the base in mulch like with the other 2, but does it also need a burlap wrap packed with pine needles too? Or can I just leave it exposed like the others and have it be fine?

Comments (2)