SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Moved roses last fall-could I have planted too deeply?

phylrae
13 years ago

My husband and I sold half of our roses and relocated most of them to one area in our backyard last fall. We only have about 35 now....some own-root and some on rootstock. They were all growing fine last year, though some were new a year ago.

I am wondering what is causing so many of them to "pout" and not want to grow? Could it be that I replanted them TOO DEEPLY (a few inches deeper than usual) last fall in an effort to protect them a little more from weather extremes? (And, if so, should I replant HIGHER in the fall?) Could it be somewhat due to our weird spring weather extremes (rainy spring-snow-80 degrees-45-80F?)

It is now about normal for around here...in the 80 range & lots more sun. Finally. Japanese beetles are 2 weeks early.

I DID prune VERY low at the end of April....some had to be pruned down to like 4 inches in order to remove winter-damage.

I have amended the soil w/organics, alfalfa, composted manure, coffee grounds as usual. Fed some Rose Tone and alternated with some Miracle Grow for roses and some fish emulsion. I know they "can't read"....but in the past we've used Mills Magic Mix and/or Mills Easy Feed, but I didn't purchase this year.

The roses we DIDN'T move seem to be fine. Just frustrated....we have such a short rose-growing season to begin with. Maybe I prune down way too far, but I always read that you needed to prune down to whitish/greenish pith. I see so many ppl in our area whose few rose bushes are HUGE and wonder what I'm doing wrong (they don't seem to labor over them or even know the names of the few they have).

Thanks. :0) Phyl

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting