SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prickles_gw

Is it too early to move a rose--in SoCa?

prickles
10 years ago

I clipped myself a little nosegay this morning--Blue Girl, Memorial Day, Lady Emma Hamilton, Jude the Obscure, Young Lycidas and St. Cecilia--and found the powerfully sharp citrus scents on LEH and JtO so strong that they literally made the hair on my neck bristle and stand up, and my mouth watered--still waters as I am writing and thinking about their scents--as if I'd just had a sour sip of vinegar! Of course I positively love their strong scents; they were so overwhelming but still I could also smell the distinct sweetness of damask on Memorial Day and YL, even St. Cecilia's myrrh scent of the baby powder "dirty diaper" stink--rather feral to my nose--all I could smell up-close but BG, which I foolishly thought to be one of the better smellers. But no! BG--which I kept around with all her flaws of mildew and slight rust--BG's scent wasn't as good as I remembered: no lemony face cream or tonic water smells from Grandma's days, but a moderate sweetness with a dim hint of maculated mold? (I don't know why it never occurred to me to cut a bouquet of mixed roses to smell and compare the different fragrances.) Well, I was a little surprised and, in happy sadness, a little relief--resolved--determined finally--which got me thinking aloud to myself: I need to dig out the remaining 2 plants of BG and put the space to better use. I could grow them in pots. But the first BG I dug up last month for my landlord and planted it for him in the backyard died. I know people in cooler climates have successfully moved and relocated roses around this time of the year, or even earlier. So after this aimless rambling--too much coffee and not enough sleep--I want to ask whether it's best to dig up the roses later in the season, say, Nov. or Dec. for folks in the southland?

Or should I save myself such grief and just SP them? Either way, they have to come out. It's eviction time!

oops I wanted to add a pic but submitted the post before uploading one...

This post was edited by prickles on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 20:03

Comments (5)