SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misswoodstock

Roses - 'In' and 'Out' of Style?

In 1996 I started a rose garden. Gardening has always been a majoy hobby of mine, but I had never planted roses before. Roses became my therapy, as I had just become an "empty nester" (wonderful therapy, it was!).

So - skipping to the chase ---- I simply went to a local nursery and bought these potted roses and planted them (in 1996):

Chicago Peace

Cary Grant

Artistry

Secret

Heaven

Miss All American Beauty

Touch of Class

Moon - (beam? struck? --- it was mauve)

First Prize

And I think, one called: Friendship

I LOVED my roses, and they did pretty well under my novice care. (I read a lot --- this was before I had internet).

In 1998 I moved overseas, then moved again, and again --- when I returned to that house, the rose garden had been ripped up and out by one of the tenants, and turned into a BBQ pit. I never replanted them, as I knew we would not remain in that house for long.

AGAIN - skipping to the chase ---- I am now in a new place where I can start my rose garden again. I think I should've been on top of this earlier in the year and looked into ordering roses online (a new concept for me), but what I did late April/early May was go to my local nursery to buy an assortment of roses similar to what I had before.

But, almost none of them are being carried. I am wondering if the potted roses that nurseries sell go "in" and "out" of fashion. Obviously K.O. roses have taken over, which is fine --- but re: the H.T roses that nurseries carry, were mine so unusual (not "classic") that they aren't carried from year to year? The only one I've found is "Peace", not the "Chicago Peace" I had the first time.

Miss Mary

Comments (8)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor