SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junebug88_gw

Trenching near Birch and Spruces,how close is too close

junebug88
13 years ago

I need to dig a 18"-24" deep trench 6" wide to replace the blocked sump pump pipe between the house and the street outlet. I am renting a trencher at $225/day for my brothers to use, I am unable to do the work due to back problems (really). The trench has to go between the Spruces & the Birch.

The problem, we have mature trees in yard I do not want to lose in the process of trenching. Our trees are all mature and the birch canopy nearly reaches the mature spruces. The birch tree is approx. 50" circumferance at 50" from ground level. The Green and Blue Spruces are 21 yrs old.I can see several large roots from the birch just beneath the soil surface.

Digging closer to the spruces will put the trench close to their lower outer branches, but at the outer most branches of the birch tree.

How many roots and of what size can be cut belonging to the birch before I see damage to the tree. Maybe I ( my brothers) could dig the city minimum 18" depth under the root and slide the pipe under a particular large root? Soil is clay under a layer of 6"-8" of topsoil.

Any other easier suggestions besides a plumbers estimates of $2600-$3800.

Comments (2)