SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jay_2008

Downy Mildew .... Please help.

jay_2008
15 years ago

Jay here in Seattle, WA.

It has been a very damp and sunless spring in Seattle. :(

I live in a condo complex and have a huge balcony that includes a greenspace. I started planting roses in 20-30 gallon pots a few years ago. I have problems with blackspot each year and "thought" that was what I was fighting again this year. I have been alternating sprays of Bayers product, immunox, and neem oil since mid Febuary.

I have 16 new potted roses and things have just gotten worse and worse. I was told spraying weekly with Bayers product would fix this up... BUT... that was while I thought it was blackspot I was dealing with. I am now 100% sure it's downy mildew NOT blackspot. This was NOT in my garden the past few years and seems to have started with 2 bushes I bought back in March at a local well respected Nursury in Woodenville, WA. (Anyone else local who may also have bought infected plants there?) I have also read that many of the local roses come from California Nurseries where DM is a problem if they also are experiencing a cool and damp winter.

Graham Thomas has lost all his leaves.

Tamora has lost all her leaves.

Olympia is the ONLY ONE that looks perfect!

April in Paris has lost all her leaves!

Gemini lost all her leaves.

Fair Bianca lost all her leaves!

Touch of class looks fine.

Climbing Iceberg is loosing his leaves.

Don Juan isn't loosing leaves but his growth seemed to stall.

Double Delights leaves r turning yellow and falling.

Windemere looks like it now has Downy with no leaf drop yet.

Falstaff looks fine and uninfected... YET.

Dublin Bay looks like growth has stunted.

Abraham Darby was doing fine but now looks like it's got downy!

Heritage has lost all leaves but they are growing back healthy for the time being.

I put so much money into my 16 containers and am so upset I wasn't aware of this downy mildew disease.

What do I do? Is there anything that I can spray with? Is it really true where I have read that I have to destroy any infected roses bush? I am lost... upset... and don't know what to do. We just had 3 beautiful sunny days here and I thought that my garden was finally going to cheer up but it looks like it might not happen that way :(.

It it even worth planting new rose bushes in the PNW in the late Winter and Spring? I am beginning to think I should just wait until the first week of July to pot up the blooming container roses available at the nursuries. Why deal with all of this endless spraying from FEB-JUNE and fighting a winless fight!

PS. I do know what I am doing regarding pruning, fertilizing and proper soil/container sizes... I just need any help anyone can offer on fighting the Downy Mildew.

Thank you everyone.

Jay:o)

Comments (15)