SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mmqchdygg

Anyone ever do lasagna in a public place?

mmqchdygg
16 years ago

We have an Adopt-a-Spot to maintain. Stupid me found this "really nice big site close to the office!" without taking note of the site conditions.

Problem: New road was put in a couple years ago, and as little as possible was put in the space to make it look decent: Sandy-loam (mostly sand with a little loam mixed in), 30+ Yew bushes, a couple other shrubs that have to be ripped out because they couldn't stand the site conditions, and a couple inches of mulch. Oh, and did I mention the dead cat?

We've decided to make a LOT of the site (which is 1600 sq ft +/-) into pathways around a single tree placed in the center, so that'll take up a good portion that we won't have to plant.

The budget just barely allows for mulching and a few plants (I've found a couple bulk deals on Stellas at eBay, and haven't looked to see if the Iris that I bought will survive the conditions), so amending the area, if done at all, would have to be done with our own materials.

Has anyone ever gotten away with doing lasagna in place? Also keep in mind that I am working with another 'gardener type gal' who is very closed-minded about the things we learn here on GW (specifically Winter sowing, and Lasagna) and thinks it's not a good idea to go putting 'trash' in a public space.

*I* think that it can be done effectively with a good cover-crop of mulch to hide it for the season.

Thoughts? Shall I donn my Ninja suit and hit up starbucks and the produce section for the parts and get the cardboard down before people see me? Dare I ask the dot-org that's in charge of this how they feel about it? "Outsiders" just don't 'get' us die-hard gardener types.

Help?

Comments (5)