SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Questions about Golden Korean Fir....

I had the opportunity this weekend, to purchase a Golden Korean Fir at 60% less than the asking price at a local nursery. I was actually looking for a Japanese Maple for another part of the garden, but I didn't find what I wanted and saw this tree. I also have wanted a conifer for another area, but had not decided which one to get, but was interested in the Korean Firs with the purple cones.

When I saw this tree, I didn't know what it was. When I asked for the name, the person helping me told me and said it was not what it was supposed to look like and took me to another area to see one that was the way it was supposed to look like. They were quite different in form. The one I saw was open and narrow, with a clearly visible trunk and that form was what interested me because I don't have a large space. The second one he showed me was more like a Christmas tree shape and full with no sign of the trunk. He explained that the tree was from a different nursery and was in too small a pot, which I had noticed. He explained that it had fallen over a number of times and had branches broken off it and as a matter of fact, it was tied to a large rock so it wouldn't fall again. He appeared to really dislike the appearance of that Korean Fir compared to the 'good' one. Then he saw my interest in it and surprised that I was still interested I guess, lol, he said he might sell it for 50% off. I wanted to think about it and said I'd call the next day. We left and on the way home DH and I discussed and decided to get the tree and went back for it. At check out, he actually gave it to us for 60% off, which I was very happy with. At this time of year, I was happy not to have to wait for the fall to get a 50% off sale.

So...we have the tree. It was so top heavy and it was windy when we got home and our adult son was there by coincidence and was able to help me plant the tree and we got it in the ground. All before I had a chance to do more than look up the expected height and width to figure out where to put it. 20ft high by 13 ft wide.

Later I looked up GW posts on the tree and see that some people have lost them and suspect it was clay soil and they need great drainage. And I saw that they prefer morning sun, afternoon shade. The person at the nursery only said, don't put it where it will bake in the sun. We planted it in morning shade and afternoon sun.

So....lol. LONG story, sorry. I do really like the tree regardless of the form and am prepared for it to fill in to it's normal appearance if it does and would be just as happy if it stays the way it is. It already has a ton of what the nursery person said were beginning cones. I love the pale color and the lighter tips. So I would like to do everything I can to make sure it thrives. We do have clay soil. I don't find it heavy. It is not that hard to dig it. It doesn't leave standing water after a rain. But in the position it is in, the downspout from the garage, empties near it. So I wonder about winter problems. I could divert the water to the driveway during the winter months, if that would help. But I wonder if I should dig it up...*sigh*....and add a thick layer of gravel under it?

So if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

Comments (4)