SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karl_bapst_rosenut

I think I may have a sport

karl_bapst_rosenut
13 years ago

of Butterscotch, the climber (JACtan).

The normal blooms of Butterscotch are a rich tan that look just like butterscotch pudding. Last year, to satisify some who wanted it, I started a number of cuttings from a cane that had bloomed out.

All the blooms last year were normal. This year I noticed three of the overwintered cuttings had unusally rich pink colored blooms shaped differently than normal. Checking the bush, two of the canes have similar blooms while the rest of the bush have normal ones. The pinkish colored blooms are really striking although they do not bloom double. The blooms are almost flat but slightly cupped. I missed taking pictures while I waited for the rest of my cuttings to bloom and tried to identify the rose. I have been known to get cutting tags mixed up. All are spent but some buds that show normal and the pink color are close to opening on the mother plant. As soon as they open, I'll take pictures and post them for your comments.

I've never had a sport before so this is something new for me. If it proves to be stable, I'll name and register it.

Comments (11)