SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trytryagain_gw

Think I Have A Mutation/Sport Wax Begonia

trytryagain
18 years ago

I planted a couple of flats of pink wax begonias early this summer, as usual. Right about now, they are all kind of lanky and starting to fall over. In the center is a wax begonia from the same flat that has just been spectacular. It is twice as big, bigger flowers, a more definite serrated edge to the leaves, which are a bit darker green, and thick sturdy stems which show no signs of drooping. How can I tell if they just stuck the wrong cutting into the flat, or if I have what I think they call a sport? If these were all grown from cuttings, how can one be so different? My husband says solar energy can cause these mutations, that they don't have to come from seed? How do I propagate and save this plant over the winter? I have never seen a wax begonia like this before, but maybe they are already selling them somewhere. Is there any commercial value in this plant? I am not a professional and have no idea what to do with this beauty, but I would like to plant nothing but this type from now on and forget those ordinary wax begonias. By the way, it is in the same soil and has received identical fertilizing, watering, and sun.

Comments (2)