SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coatfetish_gw

Safe to remove a large crabapple sucker?

coatfetish
11 years ago

I have a crabapple that is mature (I assume) and about 15 yrs old. I never removed a sucker from it that is now quite large. Frankly, I love the sucker because it appears to be a standard apple tree with large apple blossoms. The sucker is perhaps 6" diameter at the base. It grows nearly straight and is the tops peak of the tree by less than a foot. I've read that suckers weaken a tree, but I was wondering if removing such a large sucker could cause even more damage/stress? The sucker has been there for several years and the tree appears healthy otherwise, although it did produce less fruit last year (bloom was normal, approx 40% of the fruit dried up perhaps due to drought).

I just read where one person feels it's ok to leave a large sucker if it doesn't interfere with other branches - true? I love the look of the apple stock and I would love to leave it if it's not slowly killing my crabapple.
I am going to try and add a pic of the base of the tree. If it works, the sucker is the one front and right of the main trunk. If I should remove it I will need to saw it off, it is that thick. Thank you for any help!

Comments (9)