SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Pics of new beds, help with another

greenhaven
15 years ago

Okay, so this is what I have been up to the last couple weeks since all my company went home.

Last year we had the driveway repaved and widened, and sidewalks installed. This left us with heavy, compacted soils, a section of lawn that essentially became a really big planter (about 9x32), and a bed that nearly doubled in depth.

This first photo is the view from our dining room window, and shows the "planter" bed. I tilled up all the grass and compacted soil and added a yard of topsoil. I outlined and raised a curved flower bed with another yard of topsoil/compost. This portion is the mulched part seen in the photo. The bare dirt is reseeded with grass, and don't worry, the sun will be hitting the bed any moment, lol!

{{gwi:267797}}

In the very end, furthest from the house, I have planted (from left to right, even though you cannot see them in the photo) a Cream Abundance band, Ebb Tide bareroot, Stanwell Perpetual band, and a Jude the Obscure band. Currently interplanted with the roses are pale yellow yarrow, cornflowers, and lavender.

Down the long side are some pincushion flowers, Stormy Seas heuchera, deep red oriental lillies, Summer Cheer daffs.

In the close corner is also a REALLY cool iris, 'Strawberry Fields." It was an impulse buy, but I am not sorry in the least.

I have left room for trnasplanting some natives and some dwarf blueberries, but those will go in this Fall after blooming is done

I would love to add a short yellow rose behind the front corner grouping, and am open to suggestions. It cannot get tall enough to block the view of the roses at the other end.

Okay, this is where I need some help and suggestions. This next photo is a view of the front of the house, opposite the view of the long bed from the house. This is also the bed that doubled in depth when we installed the short section of sidewalk. Now my low-growing natives are too low and too far back. I would love to add some height at the back, particularly close to the stonework around the front door, to draw the eye. Right now I have a Wild Blue Indigo growing in that corner. While it is perfectly lovely and getting ready to bloom, it just isn't enough.

{{gwi:267798}}

{{gwi:267800}}

These are all the plants that are getting removed and transplanted somewhere else or back in this bed after tilling and amending. (Oversight on my part before planting, and some compaction and destruction after new stoop installation)They include Pale Purple Coneflowers, Brown-Eyed Susan, Little Bluestem Grass, the baptisia mentioned above, native foxgloves (penstemon digitalis), Great Blue Lobelia, Nodding Onion, Jacob Cline monarda(maybe a mistake) Downy Sunflower (definitiely mistake, I will have to take Roundup to thise extremely aggressive and overly large plant and it's gajillioin babies), Prairie Smoke, Phlox bifida, Harebells (Campanula rotundifolia) and two sunflowers whose names have been forgotten and the label lost. But really, really tall and almost straight up in habit.

So, can you offer some suggestions on incorporating some roses with the natives, and/or some shrubs for a backdrop for the rest of the plants? The bed is about 11 ft. wide, 8 ft. deep. To the right of the photo I have a Zephirine Drouhin planted against the east side of the house but at the corner. "Behind" her is my nursery bed for additonal perrenials.

I'll add a couple more shots and close-ups. Dig deep in your atristic minds! I have all Summer to plan the Fall rearranging, but I will NEED all Summer! :o/

I know this is long; but I have a vague vision of a finished Cottage-type garden bed here, but cannot put the right pieces in to accomplish this. Oh, and this side of the doorway gets sun almost all day, and is south-facing, so it will get toasty against the bricks in the height of Summer.

The other side of the doorway gets mostly shade all day, so I would like to be able to tie the two sides together. What a challenge!

{{gwi:267801}}

{{gwi:267802}}

{{gwi:267803}}

{{gwi:267800}}

Oh, and a wide shot of my new shade bed, too! Had the tree limbed up but it is still pretty heavy shade except first thing in the morning and last in the evening. I didn;t dig it up or add the soil, but I am plugging in almost exclusively natives in this area. It will take me a awhile to get it filled, lol! The backbones will be an Eastern Redbud, Oakleaf Hydrangea (iffy here) and a Pagoda Dogwood. And I have hardly even started on the back of the house. I'm tired already!

{{gwi:267804}}

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting