SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravmd

1 year update Colonial Front beds w/ new bluestone walkway (pics)

ravmd
16 years ago

Well 1 yr later we made some progress. Thanks to all the suggestions about not jumping into planting but focus on redoing the walkway. We now have a bluestone walkway and much deeper flower beds which were not in our original plans!!! (Still need some advice-see questions below)

After tons of research here, we finally picked out some shrubs. We were looking for evergreens with some color if possible and mixed in with deciduous. Did not want symetric so this is what we have. I am hoping you will provide suggestions if you feel I will posting on the "Newbie Mistakes" board soon! We are amateurs, so stuck with the basic 3 in a row or triangle patterns (maybe a little boring but thought it would get us started!) We get full sun in the morning to ~1pm. Left side gets a little more shade than right.

Right Bed : Sky pencil behind the boxwood. 3 Knock out rose bushes under window, 3 Hoogendorn Holly's in front of them, 3 Firepower Nandinas in front, 1 Olympic Fire Mountain Laurel on far right with a Pieris Japonica Compacta on the right front corner right behind the mum planter. Tucked in by the garage is a Lu Shan Snow Camelia so it is protected from winter wind but gets sun.

Left Bed: Sky Pencil, 3 cherry laurels in front of window, 3 Little Princess Spiraea in triangle in front of laurels, ornamental grass in back left corner. Was hoping we could squeeze in a Pee Gee Hydrangea tree by the down spout but not sure.Or a Yuletide Camelia?

I feel like we still need to fill in but afraid that is the mistake beginners make is overplanting. Maybe we just need liriope, lavender, perennials. I am pretty pleased with the left bed as the shrubs are bigger. Right bed everything is small but hopefully will grow to the appropriate size.

Questions I have:

-Is the mountain laurel going to be too big on the far right bed?

-Would a small tree look good in front of the walkway on the lawn side next to the driveway . Was thinking of a star magnolia but wondering if it would be too shrubby. Or crepe myrtle (too big?)

-Anything else need to be moved around?

-Some plants I wanted to use but couln't find a spot: small viburnum (couldn't find one)was going to put in right bed next to the driveway where the mtn.laurel is. And little henry garnet which it looks like I may have room in left bed for this. Still feeling the right bed isn't looking as good as the left but hoping it just needs time?

-Any spot for a pee gee hyrdrangea or yuletide camelia?

PLEASE let me know if we have made any major mistakes!!!

My husband wants to mulch soon but I feel like I have some work still to do with ground cover/border/bulbs or stuff like that and implementing any changes suggested. Thanks so much especially for the advice on getting rid of the concrete walkway (you can view original photos by searching for "colonial front bed help" posted in Sept2006!And still having problems with the grass!Next project I guess.

{{gwi:48727}}

{{gwi:48728}}

{{gwi:48729}}

{{gwi:48730}}

{{gwi:48731}}

{{gwi:48732}}

Comments (11)