SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpgreen

Compost: Hot hot/how long to kill the 'bad guys'

bpgreen
16 years ago

Before this year, I never had a compost thermometer, so I never knew how hot the compost got.

I wouldn't add things like meat to the pile unless it was really hot. I never knew how hot, but if it was hot enough that I felt a blast of heat when I turned it and it was 90+ degrees out, I figured it was probably hot enough (added a couple of steaks that were in a freezer during a power outage and found no trace three days later).

My last batch of compost never got any hotter than 145 degrees that I saw, but it was between 135 and 145 for a couple of weeks. The batch I started on Sunday was at 152 earlier this evening.

This is mostly academic for me at this point, because I'm using this compost to try to keep a tree alive and not using it in a vegetable garden. But I'm still curious.

Is there some kind of sliding scale, like 135 for 2 weeks, 140 for 10 days, 145 for a week, 150 for 3 days, 160 for 1 day (or something like that)? Or is there some lower limit that it needs to hit to be sure I kill all the pathogens?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022