SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryanc95

Hot compost pile cooled down REAL fast...

RyanC95
9 years ago

I made a large compost pile about a month ago 5/3/14 (as seen in the first picture on the right the pitch fork is about 4 feet tall for a scale). The first 2 week I turnt it 3 times each week and it was steaming hot every time, id would guess it was up to 150 degrees each time I turnt it. I started getting lazy and started to turn 2 times a week from the 3rd week to the 5th week (the 3rd week compost you can see in the second picture) and it was still steaming im assuming still at the 140-150 degree mark. I also bought a compost thermometer on the 5th week and checked that the pile was cooling to 135 degrees (I already knew it was cooling down because I used to use a stick that I left buried in the core of the pile to estimate the heat by touching it). And now I hit my dilemma, it was raining hard for the 6th week so it was too wet to do anything outside for most of the week so I was only able to turn it once and I noticed there was no steam coming off of the pile and it was cold. I used my thermometer to look at the temp and it was only 80. I was guessing it was either finished or it went anaerobic since this was the first time I left it for 1 week without touching it. But I didn't see it being excessively wet in the core of the pile nor did I see the white slimy bacteria or smell anything bad that is usually associated with anaerobic composting. It doesn't look finished either as seen in the last two pictures on the right. The pile is only composed of grass and leaves. I did try adding more grass to see if it was heat up again (you can see the grass in the 3rd picture.) but its still at 85 degrees today. Also when I touch the compost the leaves can crumbles easily to dust by closing my hands with a hand full of it but I still don't think it's done. Do you guys have any input on this?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH