SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tobemeghan

how to grow veggies in the hot hot hot weather

tobemeghan
12 years ago

Okay, I know you all know that last year was a BAD year for gardens. Here in KS we were in a drought (not as bad as some places though) and it got up to 114*+. Luckily we have a very good well and kept the garden well watered (even when our well pump went out and we were without was for 2wks we hauled it in by the stock tank) and put up shade tarps but it didn't help much. We have the most BEAUTIFUL tomato plants, they were huge with great color and foliage but no fruit (some green tomatoes but they didn't ever ripen) we literally got 3 small tomatoes the entire year. Some of the other stuff did well, we had a good pepper and potato/sweet potato crop but that was about it (oh the squash did okay as did the eggplant). The corn tasseled out at 3ft (all three plantings), the cucumbers died from heat and TERRIBLE bugs, the green beans wouldn't even come up and the plants that were raised in the green house didn't survive the heat. The melons were small and ripened out to early, etc. etc. etc. ETC.

SO my question is does anyone have any tips for beating the heat? We have tried early gardens but last year it got to 100 in april and the year before we had snow in late may so hard to predict. Our weather is increasingly erratic, last year during the winter we got several feet of snow and down to -25 but this year we are dry and in the 50s-60s. We are crazy to even try to grow a garden? It wasn't 10yrs ago and we had so many tomatoes, cucumbers, corn, etc. that we gave it away all day long, canned hundreds of jars, frozen it, etc. and some still rotted before we could get it up. Now.....I can't remember the last time we had more than a dozen small tomatoes, cukes or corn none the less melons!

Any thoughts?

Comments (12)