SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amg1978

How or IF I should prune this tree in my yard?

amg1978
14 years ago

I bought this house in September 09 and this tree on my property looks like it hasn't been trimmed back in many years. A few months ago I had to trim the long branches back that were leaning against my house. Then in the winter all the leaves started to turn reddish-brown and fall off. Then when it was nearly free of leaves out of nowhere all these flowers bloomed on the tree. My pool is completely caked with these flowers. I thought I would go through and start trimming all the branches back, removing everything and then in the spring the tree would bloom much less congested and clean fresh branches.

Then I realized I have NO idea what I am doing and I could (or did) kill this tree.

I want to know, how (or should) I trim this tree back so that it grows properly in the spring? I wouldn't mind trimming this thing down to practically naked, it will be a lot of work and a lot of trash cans full of leaves, flowers, branches, but I will. So can someone give me advice, I REALLY appreciate it!

As you can see, I cleaned the bottom branches down to clean and nothing on them. I tried to keep them from touching each other and trimmed a lot of the thin tiny branches, but left the big ones.

Full Sized Image here http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/bgNzcWngJ2FJLp-kHAs-2Q?feat=directlink

Comments (5)