SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cutter461

Odd behavior in new HomeLite chainsaw

cutter461
15 years ago

I just got a 20" gas HomeLite chainsaw (10520) and it's exhibiting some strange behaviorsÂI don't know what if anything they mean.

First off it was idling at a *very* high speed, I took it to an authorized Homelite dealer and (after a couple tries) they pretty much fixed it. (The guy said it had a "poor design", something like the throttle cable was getting stuck on some plastic which was expanding when it got hot, so he sanded it down. It guns at idle now only when I start it up, I pull the trigger a few times and then it calms down. Having said that the chain doesn't turn *at all* now at idle, I think my last gasoline chainsaw [also a Homelite] had the chain move a little bit once in a while when idling, so I'm wondering if it's *too* immobile]).

This might tie into the other odd behavior--after cutting the engine smokes for a few minutes. I did overfill the oil chamber recently, but I thought I wiped it up before it got into the casing. Also I know I have a tendency to push too hard when cutting so maybe that's overtaxing the engine--but should it really smoke? (I think I [pretty much] have the right fuel/oil mixture, so that shouldn't be it--it doesn't smoke while cutting, at least not at first.)

I'm wondering if something the repair guy did kind of makes it like stepping on the gas and the brake at the same time, and that's why it's overheating. Any insights appreciated.

Comment (1)