SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jmuc

old Homelite ST-180 string trimmer starts but won't keep running

jmuc
17 years ago

I have a very old Homelite String Trimmer (ST-180). It's worked fine for all the time I've had it. This year it worked for 2 or 3 outings, but now it will no longer stay running after it's been started.

After it's been sitting overnight and cold, it starts on the first pull and runs for a couple of seconds, then immediately dies. More pulls after the first one do nothing.

I've given it fresh gas and a new spark plug and it still acts the same.

I've taken all the visible screws that I can see out of the plastic case, because I'm trying to separate the 2 halves of the casing that covers the motor, to try to get at the guts of the engine, fuel tank, fuel feed to engine, etc. and see if I see what's wrong and fix it / why it doesn't seem to be getting fuel.

I've almost completely got the case apart, but it's still holding firmly in just 2 places and for the life of me I can't see what's holding it.

Any possibility that anyone recognizes this old Homelite model ST-180 and knows what the trick is to getting the case cover apart, to be able to see the engine / fuel tank etc.?

Comments (3)