SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbclem

Shindaiwa T20 string trimmer runs better upside down?

jbclem
13 years ago

It's always difficult to get this T20 to run, but once warmed up it will run ok for a while. But after five minutes or so it will act like it's starved for fuel and shut off...unless I turn it upside down. If I do that just right, upside down for 30 seconds or so, then I can go back to right side up and it will work for a while until the same proceedure repeats itself. Sometimes it will run for many minutes, but always ends up starting to shut off which I can usually cure by turning it upside down. Sometimes when it shuts off, it won't start for a while, unless I use starting fluid (such as SureStart ether).

I've done the usual things, replaced/rebuilt the carb kit, cleaned out the muffler and made sure the exhaust outlet isn't plugged, adjusted it a million times. Replaced the fuel filter, run it without a fuel filter, run it directly from a hose to a tank of gas.

Since it seems to run ok when I connect a hose directly to a tank of gas, I suspect a problem with the fuel tank/breather system. But I don't exactly know how this works and what is most critical (ie, could a minute crack in the plastic tank affect the running, does the fuel cap gasket have anything to do with breathing...).

Could someone suggest how I would troubleshoot for this kind of problem, and especially what I need to check in the fuel tank system.

John

Comments (9)