SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dolemite_ba

String Trimmer 101

dolemite_ba
14 years ago

Last fall, I bought a cheap model ($75) and it didn't seem to work. Starting/idling was a pain and the single line kept breaking and would not feed. I "used" it for about 2 hours and cut about 10 sq yards of grass. So I took it back.

This spring I get a Stihl (top of line residential) for about $250. The dealer starts it up, shows me everything, etc. I take it home and start it up. It wasn't cutting! I stop it and look at the head and only one of the two lines is visible and it is only about an inch long. Bump feed? Didn't work. I try to take off the head and I can't do it.

TI take it back to the dealer and he has a problem taking off the head and when he gets it off says, "Well, now this isn't right." I get my money back and leave.

Were these incidents atypical or just "par for the course" when dealing with a string trimmer? Will I be constantly facing aggravation? Am I doing something wrong? Is this like owning a European sports car where one has to spend half his time as a mechanic?

I need to trim some stuff and I don't mind paying $250 (or a even bit more). But I can't justify spending money on something that is going to be a constant source of aggravation. Advice?

Comments (13)