SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

Hit the string trimmer in order to feed the string?

chueh
15 years ago

I told my husband that our new string trimmer does not automatically feed the string when it gets shorter. He told me that he saw a tv show in which a guy hit the trimmer to the ground to make the string come out a little more. It sounds a little funny to me, and I certainly don't want to take the risk to hit the new trimmer to the ground just to see what happens. The instruction only says that the string trimmer would automatically feed when it wears, because the head is sensitive. I posted here once before about my string trimmer not able to feed itself. I was told to check the spool to see how the string is wound. Everything looks just fine. Thus, I went to the store I bought it. The lady who worked there did not have knowledge about it at all but kind enough to suggest that I return it and get another one. I don't want to return it, if there is something I miss or there is nothing wrong with it. If I don't know how it really works, I will probably have the same problem for another one and another one.

As I walked out the store, I ran into a lady who helped me with paint supplies before. We recognized each other. She asked me what I was shopping for. I told her about my string trimmer problem. She told me that she saw her husband slamming the string trimmer on the ground to make the string come out. Oh..... Now, the second person said it. I am starting to believe the trick. However, both my husband and this paint lady are just eye witness. When I asked them WHICH PART of the string trimmer needed to be hit to the ground, they were not sure what the answer was.

SO.. I would like to know WHERE should I hit to the ground? Which part of the string trimmer? Is it just lightly tapping on the ground? Hitting it, or really slamming it??? Do I do it with the motor on or off? When should I do it? I mean how long actually the string should be? Thanks

Comments (6)