SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Okay, I'll say it - I just don't like ground cover...

mxk3 z5b_MI
13 years ago

Today I took a look at the Ajuga I planted last summer - the first thing I thought was it looked like a weed. Have tried other ground-hugging groundcovers over the years, and I finally have come to the conclusion I just don't like them.

The only one I've found I like is "Biokovo" geranium, but only for certain uses where seemingly nothing else wants to grow well.

Guess I'll be ripping out Ajuga this week....

Comments (49)

• lindac
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think ajuga is best at a distance so you just see the lovely blue flowers or the green...up close doesn't do it for me.
    Have you given thought tot he possibility that you just don't like ajuga, not all ground covers? have you tried sweet woodruff and any or the lamiums? How about vinca minor? Or tiearlla?? I love pachysandra but some don't.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tried both lamium and sweet woodruff - great the first year, okay the second, a weedy-looking mess the third (especially the woodruff!). Don't really care for pachy. or vinca minor - they just don't do anything for me.

• Related Discussions

Okay, so maybe I don't know everything yet...

Q

Comments (45)
    Okay, I'll leave it be and hope for the best. The pine nuggets seemed perfect, with some pieces being dime sized at the largest and some being really fine mulchy stuff. I'll see if I can get a picture when I go down to my mother's house this weekend, I don't remember the brand name. Was a massive bag for pretty reasonable though, I've used that stuff for nearly ALL of my plants this last repotting season. While most are houseplants, for edibles I planted an olive and a cherry tree in soil amended with it. Guess I'll just see what happens over the winter!
    ...See More

Dare I say I don't want it?

Q

Comments (74)
    For me it is simple, while I appreciate many granites and some ss appliances, they are not for everyone. I also find many granites to be downright ugly and many ss appliances to be boring looking (hard to distinguish from all the others I have seen that day). I think the best plan is to figure out what you like by having an open mind. Shopping out your options and getting what works for your home, family and budget. What I have heard repeatedly on this thread that just because the masses think that granite and ss are "musts" that one should follow their own instincts and not worry that you are not part of the trend. We got 3 ss elements in our kitchen (hood, wall oven and micro shelf), 4 in white (fridge, freezer, micro and range) and a black dw. No one can accuse us of following the herd. Each one was chosen on its merits. If we had found a perfect granite, we might have gotten that, but over time, I think we came to the conclusion that it would not work with the vintage homey vibe we were shooting for. It was not for lack of trying though. We met with fabricators and walked miles in granite yards trying to pick one if it hit us right AND worked in our space. We saw many that were lovely but were not the right color scheme or look for this particular kitchen. I think if people don't consider their options, then they will have a limited kitchen (and life). We ended up with Corian counters which I would have bet heavily against going into the project. An open mind and patience led us to our right choices. Others will find their own answers, but hopefully not look down on kitchens that don't have ss or granite. Luckily, we have GW where we can read about others' experiences, see their choices and learn about more options. I'd know so much less if I had not practically lived here for a few years, lol!
    ...See More

I'll bet you think I want help with my layout, don't you...

Q

Comments (27)
    Lav: It's just that fridge and big sink on that wall seem to eat up all the countertop. Plus, the fridge needs like, 4" minimum clearance against a fixed wall... I wish that wall were a little longer cause I'd love to have the fridge to the left of the sink like that. I always seem to want to prep to the left of the sink. I don't know if I can change that habit, can I? I get having a prep sink closer to the stove, but this copper sink is made for prep with the cutting board that sits on the ledge and the drain tray. Not to mention that after what that thing cost, DH will probably throw up if I mention getting another sink, lol. Bellsmom: I was told that having the whole wall open is a problem with structural stuff. That's why DH wants a rustic railing with upright beams in part of the opening. I can't tell exactly but the island makes the walk around about 30"... seems too close to the step down for safety? Rosie: Your words are food for thought. I am definitely a sink/window prepper. I tend to live in front of the sink for some reason. Don't really see myself doing too much between the fridge and stove (in the original layout) And, as I said above, I tend to want to work to the left of the sink. Angie's idea is very appealing though. I like the smaller area to cook in and less walking around. I like the fridge out of the main area, so anyone can get something without, 'excuse me'. The one thing DH does is make adult beverages (killer old fashioneds for those familiar with Wisconsinites) and we're always in each others way when that happens. I thought a bar sink over by the window could double as a kind of prep sink and I'd have mondo storage over there, too. But, it does close up the room somewhat, at least for traffic, but maybe not in a bad way. Idaho: thanks for the info and I was kinda thinking that empty corner could be a safe cubby or something like that. Keep our Cracken in there, lol. Marcolo: are you saying to leave the fridge as it is in Angies plan? I'll have to play around with that configuration, too. Thank you...
    ...See More

Dare I say I don't like it? (Again?!?)

Q

Comments (68)
    I'm with pllog. I may not have bad allergy attacks most of the time, but cats love me and make a beeline for me when I go into a house. As a real estate agent, I try to be very careful to not insult the homeowner, but if they touch any exposed skin of mine, I have an instant rash. I make a joke about not being able to touch the cat while talking to the cat and most h.o.s get the hint and pick them up and often move them elsewhere. If a house has multiple cats or is not very clean, I will sniffle all day and feel lousy. Most of the time, I am not there long enough to have a really bad reaction. I only had my throat start to close up twice in my life. Running outside and gulping air fixed it. I can care about a friend and not want allergy problems or, quite frankly, to care about their cat. You can love whomever you want, but sometimes it is not proper to foist them on others. I adore our sons but it is not always proper to mix them with company. The same is true of pets. A quick hello is plenty. If I had worse allergies, then that would even be too much. Having a non allergy aversion is also acceptable. It is nothing personal about your pet, but some people have a fear of dogs and that does not make them bad people. I was bit by a chihuahua years ago and am still leery around them despite not having much fear of larger more imposing dogs. I have some allergies with certain breeds of dogs, but will still choose to pet them and suffer a small reaction. The key is it is my choice as to which pet I will touch or not. My allergy to dogs is less than to cats, but I also like dogs more. Not liking cats is a personal choice and does not preclude me being a good friend or guest. If that means someone thinks I am not worthy because I don't like their "Fluffy", then it is their loss. The funny part is I am usually the most attractive human in the room to cats. I can walk in with several cat lovers and the cats want nothing to do with them, but love me. They must love "hard to get" people.
    ...See More
  • diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

LOL! Your post made me smile, mxk! I LOVE groundcovers! I don't think I've ever met a groundcover I didn't like. I just love the way they, well, cover the ground! The way they spread under other plants, and add texture and color - like a living mulch.

Are you looking for something to work in this particular spot where you have the ajuga? Or are you just making a statement in general? :)

Dee

• marquest
    13 years ago

I laughed also I hate to see people that have a couple of plants and 100 bags of that red mulch.

I find a lot of people do not like ground cover they like a more formal garden. I think ground cover is a less formal look. Maybe that is what bugs you it does not look tidy. If that is what is happening to you maybe you should look at mulch, garden ornaments and big stones strategically placed.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

You could try veronica prostrata "Aztec Gold". It's awesome! Lovely chartreuse/yellow foilage, true blue flowers in spring, and it stays low! I planted it around my daylilies and it covers underneath them beautifully without sacrificing sun for the DL's.

{{gwi:224248}}

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Marquest, disliking groundcovers doesn't mean a lack of taste. I dislike many groundcovers because they require quite a bit of upkeep: shearing, weeding (no round up) and restraining
    I do have, however, a lot of ground covers but have no intention of planting more.
    They are also snakey.

• calliope
    13 years ago

Oh my........I love groundcovers, and I guess that's what makes the world go around. I think there's a 'right' groundcover for any situation. None of mine need any aftercare to speak of, and keep the ground around my perennials moist and cooler.

I think sometimes one just has to look at less mainstream choices and peck around a little to find just the right fit. I have sedum sartorium in difficult places and it just flows like a lovely chartreuse mat. Germander in others. Lamiums elsewhere. Iberis, hederas, vincas, wintercreepers, cerastium, pachysandras, epimediums, saxifraga sweet woodruff, creeping thymes etc, ad infinitum. Mulch, what's mulch?

• arbo_retum
    13 years ago

mx, i just want to add one thing. groundcovers do not HAVE to be short ground-hugging plants. The plant I am always trumpetting, persicaria Lance Corporal, spreads so readily and in any kind of soil/light condition, that i think of it as a groundcover. here's a photo of it w/ corydalis lutea, another self seeder that could also go into the tough-as-nails ground cover category (and blooms april through nov. here). i think of anything that spreads fast and looks good all season- as a potential groundcover. in addition to the 2 plants in the photos, i would include in my groundcover list: polygonum bistorta superbum, europ wild ginger,j. painted fern and other ferns, canadian anemone, wood geranium, and many more.

but in the end, you know, each to their own. (Don't tell anyone,but I hate roses.)
    best,
    mindy

{{gwi:224250}}
    in May

{{gwi:224251}}
    in October

• tammyinwv
    13 years ago

Mindy, and grinder, I think those plants are beautiful. I admit, i have never really gotten into grwound covers either, till this yr. Now i am trying a pretty lamium, and alyssum.
    Tammy

• brody
    13 years ago

I've yet to meet a ground cover that is actually trouble free but I'm sure they must exist.

For me every plant has its place but the place for ground huggers like Ajuga is not in a border filled with big perennials where they look weedy and completely out of scale. But in a parking strip or next to an alley where nothing much else is growing they're nice to have.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Quote: "...disliking groundcovers doesn't mean a lack of taste."

Well said.

When I think of "groundcover" plants, I think ground HUGGING plants.

• melaroma
    13 years ago

Calliope, germander is a ground cover? Does it spread much? I just bought one with the understanding that it is good for a hedge not as ground cover. I too dislike ground cover and I'll admit that I like the tidy look.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

you dont like ground cover.. because you dont have enough ground for it ...

ANYTHING ... save weeds.. that covers some square footage.. on 5 acres is a plus ...

ken

ps: i was never to impressed with ajuga either.. lackluster .... lamium is way better ...

• marquest
    13 years ago

"Marquest, disliking groundcovers doesn't mean a lack of taste."

I do not know how my suggestion made anyone think I was saying that someone "lacked taste" because they did not like groundcover but if any one read my suggestion to mean that I apologize. Please read...it was not what I said. I thought I made a suggestion of how to make it more formal vs informal garden.

I did express a dislike for red mulch. If that is what someone has and they like it I did not say you lacked taste I was expressing that it was not my taste.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Probably this comment: maybe you should look at mulch, garden ornaments and big stones strategically placed.

Garden ornaments and big stones are often derided by landscape designers and are usually misused too.

Think a big area of mulch, a few unnatural, big imported stones and a bird bath. It gets worse if the mulch is dyed, the stones are fake and the bird bath has painted fake birds in it and some stone mushrooms added to the mix.

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    13 years ago

I often feel the same way about groundcovers (although I know not all are created equal). The thing I always worry about when planting a groundcover is if it will be invasive. Will it take over the whole bed in a month or choke out the more delicate plants? And I dislike loose groundcovers that allow the weeds to grow through (like Scotch and Irish moss, what a disaster). I like ones that are well mannered and slower growing.

I think ken is also right, if you have more space groundcovers are much aprecciated!
    CMK

• chills71
    13 years ago

you've got me wishing I had taken pics of my vinca illuminations with daffodils and Anemone's growing through it. Also in the same bed I have a Tiger Eyes Sumac. The Vinca just punches up the seasonal interest with its golden foliage.

I do have to keep an eye out for green stems, but other than that its been a pretty lo-care planting for me (and I've only got 1/8th of an acre)

~Chills

• sue36
    13 years ago

There are many groundcovers I like, but Ajuga is not one of them. It is an invasive thug, get rid of it as quickly as you can or it will take over everything, including your lawn. But I shouldn't talk I have large patches of creeping Jenny and Charlie (I work to keep them in check) (but the color is such a great contrast against other plants, I can't resist it). I love Pachysandra and any geranium. I like Vinca, but again, it can be invasive. I am trying to get Uva Ursi (bearberry) to establish itself in one of my gardens (it was doing great, but it died back quite a bit this winter). Anemone grows wild here, but it disappears later in the season.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have Caitlin's Giant ajuga and it is extremely well mannered. Been in the same spot for 8 years and hasn't spread more than a few feet at most.
    It's in front of some azaleas and next to an upright camellia. Doesn't look weedy to me like some plants, nepeta being one.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I love ajuga and wish it were more aggressive for me. I use it under shrubs such as rhododendrons and between hostas and ferns and huecheras.

I detest sweet woodruff, it does look weedy and it helps lily of the valley choke out more desirable plants. I've been fighting both in the same bed for years. Can't rip out the trees and big shrubs that I planted there to completely get the thugs out.

• marquest
    13 years ago

Seneca, I still do not understand why you felt an inslut that someone had bad taste because they did not like groundcover.

No matter, I apologized if anyone chose to read between the lines and make the suggestion an insult there is nothing else I can do. Gardening is fun for me I do not look for negative. When someone takes the time to give me suggestions I appreciate the time that they read my post and tried to help me. I do not think that people are trying to insult me. But I have been told by my family I do have a pollyanna personality though. LOL

• marquest
    13 years ago

oops I meant "insult" not inslut. not calling anyone a slut either. LOL

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Everything's cool, marquest.

• michelle_zone4
    13 years ago

I like some of the low growers especially in the front of the border. I do have a larger garden so I have lots of room. As for ajuga, I have only 2 and neither have been what I'd call aggressive - Black Scallop and Chocolate Chip. Black Scallop is great for the black glossy leaves and Chocolate Chip is lovely in bloom. I'm also a big fan of lamiums and have quite a few. They seed around quite a bit but are easy to pull out. There are some lovely sedums also. I hardly dare say it but I even have a small area where I allow ivy to grow. But each to his own.

• joannemb
    13 years ago

Just wanted to chime in and say that I'm very drawn to formal gardens and absolutely adore groundcover. I hate mulch--reminds me of the 'burbs. I love when I see a green lushly covered landscape. I'm trying my hand at lamium and really hope it delivers---I just think it's so elegant and lovely.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I am better than you thing? That's worse than saying someone lacks taste. It's a personal choice thing and I push people to try them as an alternative to mulch because sometimes the idea just hasn't occurred to them. BTW, I'm not crazy about ajugas either, unless they're blooming and that doesn't last long. I still have them, though.

Yes, germander as ground cover. It tops out at less than ten inches and is very matte-like and blooms wonderfully for the bees. It is a clumper, but a soft, flowing clumper and my bed of it is now about ten years old, I'd guess and the clumps are growing together to form a pretty matte above the rocks of my spring pond. It wouldn't form much of a hedge, unless you were using it to border a knot garden. That's what I originally grew it for, but the herb/knot garden never did materialise.

• marquest
    13 years ago

OK bumblebeez as long as it is understood no harm was meant.

I will head back over to the Brug forum. For garden fun. LOL

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    13 years ago

Not all ajugas are the same. Those of you who don't like it, should look at A. 'Chocolate Chip'.

• redsox_gw
    13 years ago

I have to say I am not crazy about groundcovers either. At least I have not found one I like. We inherited pachysandra with the house. Neither my Husband nor I are that thrilled with it.

I have a wooded mess of an area with deciduous trees above and I was thinking of trying lily of the valley as a groundcover to keep the weeds down. Anybody tried it?

• Annie_nj
    13 years ago

The standard, overused, invasive ground covers are the groundcovers I don't care for. Other than that, plants are plants, and there is often something to like/dislike about each and every one.
    Mazus reptans is one of my favorite ground covers.
    Veronica prostrata "Aztec Gold", I like this alot, but it hasn't spread much for me, although it might if I water it some.
    Sedums are nice as well, and come in a variety of heights and colors.
    Ajuga -I had a large patch of disappear this year, but I think it had too much water. (Not to worry, I have lots more.)
    Vinca minor - I liked the remaining (sparse) vinca the year I ripped out all the ivy, but the next year it came in too full, and now I don't like it.
    Thyme - I like thyme, but it allows weeds, and tends to move.
    Gingers are nice.
    Lawn chamomile is new for me last year, so don't have a verdict yet.
    Violets seem like they'd be a great groundcover, but I don't care for them except when they are in bloom.
    Lamiums are not all created equal, and some do quite well in some spots, and others are better off forgotten.
    Pachysandra doesn't do anything for me.
    Lily of the Valley are too invasive, and I am trying the varigated version to see if it is less aggressive.
    Groundcovers are nice as they fill in empty spots, are often evergreen, and I don't have to spend as much money on mulch. All this is just my opinion, and personal preference and experience. It's your garden, so do what you like and enjoy.

• ditas
    13 years ago

I don't think I can add anything of extreme value - my garden patches ... imagine an old & comfy grandma's quilt!!! - I'm too old, love many & enslave to a few, I have around.

Periwinkle = I adore & my grand-daus luv for making Periwinkle-blue Fairy cakes in bowls of H2O!

Baltic Ivy = none of my 3 kids went to Ivy league schs. but I own a 40' long wall of!

ArcAngel Lamium = (wondered how the name fits - please enlighten)- snakey, creepy, invader - shows up his yellow blossoms & very lovely fo'liage in the centers of White Nancy & Shell Pink cousins & all around Hosta territory!

Bishop's Weed = finally took care of, except for a small rhizome in the middle of a Rose bush, ouch!!! Don't much mind short-season blooms but the *dirty socks look in Aug ...ugh (I was long done w/ baseball, soccer, marching band & jumping-in-mud years ago!!!)

Lily of the Valley & Tiger Lily = planted for a purpose, along the fence line to ward off my back-neighbor's dandelions & wild violets etc ... so I thought!!!

My 2cents ... might as well join in the fun!!! ~;)

• tlacuache
    13 years ago

How about this observation, based on reading this thread and on my own firsthand experience: I've concluded that conceptually speaking, groundcovers as a category work better in the cooler zones further north, and less well as you move towards the hotter zones with longer growing seasons to the south. In Chicago, I did well with a number of the popular groundcover plants mentioned in this thread, which weren't perfect (nothing is), but basically did their job quite well with fairly little maintenance on my part. They did well in Philadelphia, too. But after having now lived and gardened in warmer Southern climates, first in Houston, Texas for a few years, and now in Raleigh for about ten years, I've become more and more disenchanted with groundcovers. As bumblebeez, redsox, and others said, many groundcovers can be problematic over the long haul around here, and often fail to live up to expectations. For one thing, all too many of the plants commonly grown as groundcovers tend to be either too wimpy and slow-growing, so that they don't actually spread quickly enough to cover the ground very efficiently, or else they're too vigorous and thuggish, making them hard to control or contain as they attempt to outgrow their space and conquer the whole neighborhood. Also, hardly any groundcover plantings of any kind grow densely enough to really keep weeds out, especially in our mild climates where weeds are a perpetual, 365-days-a-year nuisance. And of course controlling weeds in a groundcover is often a bit complicated, since you obviously can't just spray Round Up in the bed, but in most cases there isn't a selective herbicide that you can spray over the top of the groundcover either. So you end up having to hand-pull or dig all the individual weeds without disrupting the groundcover plants, which is pretty much of a hassle. And as bumblebeez mentioned, thick plantings of groundcovers in the South often become havens for snakes and a variety of other critters, which upsets a lot people. Personally, I like snakes, so I'm not bothered by them or most other vertebrates living in groundcover. But I do often also find a lot of ticks and chiggers in many groundcover beds in the summer and fall, which needless to say, is not cool. So, I wouldn't say that I dislike all groundcovers, and in fact I like the idea of groundcovers a lot. Many of them are both functional and attractive in a lot of different settings, especially up North. But on the whole, I think that groundcovers are generally not worth the maintenance challenges in the South, and I've moved away from planting them much anymore, since it's a lot easier to keep areas attractive and weed-free if they're just densely planted with annuals, perennials, or shrubs, or else kept as bare mulched ground. In fact, even low-key lawn grass is often more practical than conventional groundcover plants around here, in my experience. I'd love to hear what you guys think.

For what it's worth, here are my top five favorite groundcovers for this part of the country, and the easiest-to-maintain in my experience:
    - Asiatic jasmine (Trachelospermum asiaticum)
    - creeping raspberry (Rubus calycinoides)
    - Japanese marlberry (Ardisia japonica 'Chirimen')
    - prostrate plumyew (Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Fritz Huber' or 'Prostrata')
    - shore juniper (Juniperus conferta var.)

Thanks!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Nicely said tlacuache!
    I'll look for the ones you mentioned, I do have a 100' bank of shore juniper but those wild onions! And wild geranium!
    And hairy bittercress has exploding seed pods.

Actually this thread has made me want to plant some more ajuga, chocolate chip in particular.
    Although I'm in the process of ripping out tons of Georgia Blue veronica, sigh.

• nancyd
    13 years ago

I agree - well said, tlacuache. I've yet to find a GC that eliminates weeds and there's nothing worse than weeding GC. I wouldn't recommend planting English ivy as it's considered an invasive species in many parts of the country. But it was well established in my yard when I moved in and that's about the only thing that has survived and flourished under our tall shade trees - maybe too well. My brother wanted to rip out a good portion of his lawn and replace it with ground cover. Thankfully I talked him out of it. I would disagree GC's do better in the north - many die back over the winter so weed elimination is still a problem. Mowing grass is easier than trying to maintain a large portion of GC. Around my pond I have Lysimachia nummularia Aurea - golden Creeping Jenny - and it's really nice. I'm showing him your post!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

There are groundcovers and then there are groundcovers :-) Not all are as efficient in covering real estate or suppressing weeds as others and not all are 'invasive' (I hate that term!) or as aggressively spreading as others. And some are just better suited to specific situations.

I like groundcovers and use a lot of them in my garden. Some I would not plant on a bet, as they are simply too weedy for my tastes (galium, sweet woodruff, heads my personal list). And not all of them are what are traditionally considered groundcovers, although they are low, ground hugging plants that tend to spread out. They are not used specifically to cover ground or suppress weeds (although they may very well do that and quite well) but to provide a low growing, often flowering and generally evergreen plant - helianthemums, armeria, saxifrage, epimediums, cyclamen, Euphorbia robbiea, even smaller hostas fit my definition of a groundcover.

I'd also disagree that groundcovers mean "zero maintenance" -- the only zero maintenance plant I've ever encountered was a plastic one. All plants will need some sort of maintenance from time to time, even groundcovers, but they can sure help to reduce maintenance if carefully selected.

I prefer to consider them as more of a living mulch - they accomplish many of the same tasks a more traditional mulch will achieve - soil surface protection, often slope stabilization, weed suppression, conservation of soil moisture, shading of roots, etc. And like various typical mulch products, there's a lot to choose from, some more appropriate than others.

Plant preferences are very subjective and I'd never criticize anyone's choices - I have some very firm likes and dislikes as well - but I'd hesitate to dismiss all groundcovers as being equal in effectiveness or lack thereof and equally aggressive or weedy. I'd have to say that a generalized dislike of groundcovers only means you haven't enountered the right one yet for your specific situation :-)

• leslies
    13 years ago

Native ginger is as close to zero-maintenance as a groundcover gets. I planted it in deep shade four years ago and haven't touched it since. But then, it isn't in a spot that tends to be weedy anyhow.

It's dense, it's green, the round leaves are attractive, though not show-stopping, and it doesn't seem to die off in the center like galium does.

• nancyd
    13 years ago

Why do you hate the term "invasive?" You seem pretty definite about that. I can't think of a better term for English Ivy. I'm curious.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

I enjoy groundcovers. I have some that I don't like and wouldn't grow but groundcovers in general fit my style of gardening. My aim is to continue to work toward lower maintenance. Spreading mulch every year is work. The more you have to use, the harder it is. On the other hand, I like the look of shrubs surrounded by mulch. So I do a little bit of both.

I also want to limit weeding and I've agreed with the thinking that where there is a good plant growing there is no place for a weed to grow, so I am trying to plant every inch of ground with something I like. [g] Not necessarily with groundcover, but they do help out.

I love epimediums and as far as I'm concerned, after using them for about 12 years, they are no maintenance. I don't find weeds grow through them, they are bullet proof and will grow around the bases of Maples where few things will grow.

Ajugas don't grow for me. I've stopped buying them. As much as I like Black Scallop, it doesn't like me.

I am enjoying creeping Veronicas at the moment. I do trim them in the early spring and don't have a large patch so it's not a lot of work. I have 'Georgia Blue', 'Waterperry' and I just bought prostrata 'Trehane' which is a golden. I'm looking for 'Sunshine'.

{{gwi:224252}}

I am trying Lamium. I didn't like it it's first year but this year I do. Next year if it starts looking weedy I may have to think about pulling those out. They are between two buildings so I don't worry they will get away from me.

I like vinca in certain situations. But I think you have to be careful where you put it and keep your eye on it.

I've had trouble with Thymes, because I have clay soil and they don't always come back over the winter. I have lucked out on one particular one that is a pretty golden color and has been vigorous for me and come back for the past 3 years now.

I'm experimenting with a few natives, Gaylussicia, and Arctostaphylos.

I like Phlox subulata and I'm trying it as a groundcover in a couple of places but I have mixed feelings about them. Sometimes they need too much trimming to keep them looking the way I like them.

In the shade, Tiarellas and Phlox divaricata are very nice and easy.

Mint, lily of the valley, Goutweed, sweet woodruff, are some that I would never plant.

• chills71
    13 years ago

prairiemoon....which veronica is that?

What conditions do you have it growing in?

I think I've found another plant I need... (my wife really thinks I'm nuts, btw.....lol)

~Chills

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Chills, that is the Veronica 'Waterperry'. I just moved it to behind the hose reel near the water spigot to keep the weeds out of there. Normally, it would grow along the ground and mound up a little bit, but I like this effect along the house foundation. I have loamy clay in my yard, with a ph about 6.4 or there abouts, which hasn't been tested in awhile. It would be pretty moist here, since the spigot has been leaking. I have 'Georgia Blue' growing in much drier conditions and it is doing okay. 'Waterperry' is facing west against the house, so it gets about 4 hrs of sun in the afternoon.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Why do you hate the term "invasive?" You seem pretty definite about that. I can't think of a better term for English Ivy. I'm curious.

A perfectly reasonable question :-) It is because it is thrown about so frequently in error, often with groundcovers, and loses its intensity and impact when applied to true invasive species. And yes, I agree English ivy is invasive in many areas (mine being well up on the list) but that is one of the few groundcovers that fully qualifies for that designation. What most folks term "invasive" are just plants that spread easily and sometimes aggressively but do not fit the accepted definition of an invasive species - "non-indigenous species or 'non-native' plants or animals that adversely affect the habitats and bioregions they invade economically, environmentally, and/or ecologically".

There is a big difference between a truly invasive species and one that just spreads easily and/or aggressively (yet does not invade natural areas)......which is by definition what a groundcover is intended to do.

• nancyd
    13 years ago

Fair enough. Probably the same can be said when people refer to some perennials as "weeds." One person's pest is another one's favorite plant. Personally I don't mind plants that multiply like they're on Viagra because I needed them to fill a corner of my backyard after an apple tree came down in a storm. There are purposes to many plants and sometimes a well-behaved one just doesn't do the trick. Bishop's Weed is one of them. That plant gets bad mouthed on this forum all the time, but it has its uses and did the job for me.

• calliope
    13 years ago

I sure agree about how easily and inappropriately the term invasive is used. I will say aggressive sometimes, but save invasive for things like kudzu or vetch. Worse yet, but I hear it all the time are people calling it evasive. I have to bite my lip not to laugh because of the mental picture it evokes.

• njmomma
    13 years ago

I love MOSS. Feels so soft and looks very tidy. I don't grow it yet, but will in the future.

Never thought of lamium as groundcover,but mine looks great and has really covered many feet of ground so I guess it is a ground cover. It is very lush looking right now.

• Marie Tulin
    13 years ago

and I never thought of Viagra as example of procreation. Intent, determination yes.
    Now that image made me smile.

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

I have some love/hate groundcovers myself. I think the biggest criteria for my love/hate ratio is the combination of how it grows (fast/slow) and where it is located. i.e. not all fast growers are hated if they are in the right place

I just pulled out about 100 sq ft of pachasandra because it just got everywhere. I will miss it in the winter. (pre-snowcover).

I have a huge patch of bunchberry (Cornus canadensis) that spreads very quickly, but it is in a part-shade woody tree-shrub area and it really seems to fit the woodland less-manicured feel. I also suspect it would be hard to eradicate if I wanted to. It has those thin roots that go everwhere and break easily. But I love it where it is.

I have creeping veronica Waterperry in a perennial bed and it stays put nicely. Love it. I also have Georgia Blue but it is much more aggressive. I have to pull it back severely twice a year. Dislike it (but not enough to remove it). I have a gold variegated one that barely grows. I moved it this year to a new place it may do better.

Lamium 'Pink Nancy' wanders and blends in nicely. It pulls out easily if it wanders too far. Love it.

Ajuga, love it in bloom (have Choc Chip and Crispa Metallica). Neutral otherwise. Need to have something interesting (and strong) nearby. I'm trying out Hosta Kabitan.

Thymes... love the daintiness... hate that they don't suppress weeds so well.

Geranium Biokova... I consider that more as a specimen perennial than a groundcover, but I can see it is somewhat of both. Love it.

Sedge, Treasure Island...grows slowly, love it because it can go anywhere safely, but unless it is cut back with other perennials, it looks messy far into spring until the new growth covers the old stuff. Cutting back a groundcover is not a fun thing. I used to when I had a little, but now its out of the question.

I enjoyed and saved this old thread about groundcovers in link below. I haven't read it in a while, but it might be interesting after reading this thread.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Wendy, regarding your comment about the ajuga and trying hostas in it - I have a small bed at the end of my walkway where it meets the driveway. I have ajuga in there that is just beautiful in bloom in early spring. The bed also has about half a dozen hostas (including some large ones like Krossa Regal and Regal Splendor) as well as perennial foxgloves. By this time of year, you can barely see the ajuga. If you were to lift the hosta leaves, you would see a nice carpet of ajuga, but very little actually shows through the other plants. I think therefore you will like the hosta/ajuga combination. Good luck with it!

:)
    Dee

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

Dee, that's good to know that they are compatible root systems. They are both so aggressive, I guess they can compete well. (that is, until the voles find the hostas-LOL)